Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old debt with AFNI and SOL

tag
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Old debt with AFNI and SOL

In my attempt to clean my report, I decided to contact AFNI on a 6 year old debt. I sent them a DV and PFD to which they responded with a very shady bill that gave no dates or anything from Verizon and refused to PFD but instead update it as paid. I want this deleted. Updated status just won't due since this debt is so old anyway..

I have not acknowledged the debt, however, since contacting them they have began to send letters for collection to my house. Well, at least one. In the past the only letters they sent was begging for any sort of payment of at least 5.00 just to resolve the debt. Now that I have spoken to them, they are requesting the full amount.

I cannot seem to get them to PFD so I'm thinking about just waiting for it to fall of my report. It's due to fall off in 2014, so it's not really that long. However, my concern is that now that I've reached them, is there a chance that they can potentially try to take legal means to collect the debt? It's for $250 or so and I live in PA. The SOL is 4 years and this debt is for 2007. Should I be worried?

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Old debt with AFNI and SOL

No, just contacting them does not restart your SOL.  Is the DoFD in 2007?  If so, your SOL expired in 2011 and they can no longer bring legal action and win if you used expired SOL as a defense.

Message 2 of 10
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

That's what I figured. Thank you.

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can certainly simply let the credit report exclusion period expire, and thus get the collection off your credit report.

However, the lingering issue of still having unpaid, delinquent debt would remain, and could still be a factor in future efforts to obtain credit.

I would still advise making settlement for a small amount, and thus at least clear the debt.

Message 4 of 10
rockinn8
Contributor

AFNI will not PFD, however once you pay (PIF or settle) they are pretty good about deleting TLs when you send them GW letters asking for deletions.  I had to write about 4 or 5 GW emails (recoveryteam@afni.com) before they agreed to delete.  It took about 3 weeks for the collection account to be deleted from all 3 bureaus but YMMV.  Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ FICO 673 TU FAKO 641
Current Score: EQ FICO 740, EX FICO 748, TU FICO 722 (Discover)
Goal Score: All 730+ FICOs

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

You can certainly simply let the credit report exclusion period expire, and thus get the collection off your credit report.

However, the lingering issue of still having unpaid, delinquent debt would remain, and could still be a factor in future efforts to obtain credit.

I would still advise making settlement for a small amount, and thus at least clear the debt.

I was not suggesting it not be paid. 

Message 6 of 10
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I wasn't asking whether or not it should be paid as I have my doubts about the validation. I imagine I will work it out somehow and offer a lower amount to resolve it. I was merely curious if reaching out to this collector would result in a negative impact toward my credit.

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 10
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Oh it's already reporting. It's been on there since 2009. What I meant was if just contacting them resets the statue of limitations.

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.