cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old joint account with ex. Need help closing.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old joint account with ex. Need help closing.

My ex-husband and I had a joint Old Navy credit card years ago. I noticed that it is still showing up on my credit report as an open revolving account. When I called the company to cancel, they said it couldn't be done because I didn't have the entire account number to give them, only what was printed on my credit report. I have no way of getting a hold of this number; my ex-husband and I have not spoken in years. I want my name off of this card and this card off of my credit report, but how? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old joint account with ex. Need help closing.

Call the CRA and see if they'll give it to you. 
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you give them your SS#? They should be able to pull your account up that way, and then verify your identity with security questions.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never had an ON card, but many others and hardly ever have cards with me when I call.  They can always pull my info up by my social, phone, address, etc.  You may ask for a supervisor and advise him/her of your situation.  They should be able to help.  

Personally I think it will be a little more complicated than simply asking them to cancel.  My experience during divorce was that you can't simply call up a creditor and ask to be removed because you have a decree, especially if credit (loan, card, etc) was granted on BOTH of your incomes/credit scores.  Instead, they will tell you the other party has to QUALIFY for said credit on their OWN before they will remove you.  Then they have to involve the ex.

This becomes a royal pain if you are talking large amounts like car loans, etc.  However, depending on the ON card balance, it may be easier to just pay it off and then cancel the card since you don't speak with your ex.  Doing so will surely irritate you by paying his bills, but it also eliminates risk from HIM ruining YOUR credit should he miss a payment or two or more.  And that is worth quite a bit.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.