Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old medical collections past SOL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old medical collections past SOL

I have three old medical collection from an ER visit that are well beyond SOL. I had contacted my former insurance provider to obtain the original EOBs to double check the date of service. I had hoped this was a way to obtain accurate information without poking the bear. Now I'm unsure how to proceed. Do I ask the collection agency to validate the debt? Or follow the HIPPA process?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old medical collections past SOL

SOL has no affect on credit reporting. They're two different things. Any contact with the creditor at this point could inadvertantly restart the SOL clock, depending upon your state's laws.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's well beyond SOL, the debts are likely dropping off your credit reports soon. That assumes the debts are even being reported - are they?

If you haven't already, visit AnnualCreditReport.com and request one or more your credit reports to see the DOFDs (TransUnion is easier to understand, since they show estimated date of removal instead). From that, you can better determine how to proceed. Disregard collection account opened / closed dates - that's not related to DOFD. Derogatory trade-lines (TLs) fall off ~7 years after DOFD. If it's been 7 years or more (7.5 years is the max), contact the bureaus and ask for the TLs to be removed.

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have three old medical collection from an ER visit that are well beyond SOL. I had contacted my former insurance provider to obtain the original EOBs to double check the date of service. I had hoped this was a way to obtain accurate information without poking the bear. Now I'm unsure how to proceed. Do I ask the collection agency to validate the debt? Or follow the HIPPA process?

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

As stated the SOL has nothing to do with your credit reports. SOL is set by each state as far as how long a creditor has to use the court system to help collect a debt. The time a derog CO or CA can remain on your CR is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD. Simply contacting the creditor does not restart the SOL making a payment can in some states and in others it requires a new promise to pay with subsequent default. We cannot give you advice on the HIPAA process on this forum.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SOL has no affect on credit reporting. They're two different things. Any contact with the creditor at this point could inadvertantly restart the SOL clock, depending upon your state's laws.

Asking for debt validation will not reset the SOL.

SOL is reset in virtually all situations by either  A) actually making payments and then stopping, or B) PROMISING to pay and failing to do so. About a dozen states actually require a written and signed repayment agreement before SOL can be reset.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.