cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old parking tickets from about 10 yrs ago.

tag
stevehbold
Valued Member

Old parking tickets from about 10 yrs ago.

I just received a call today from a law firm of lineburger or something like that . ive never seen this show up on my credit report but i guess my question is could it be something they could put on my credit if it is over 10 yrs old? i know credit card stuff takes 7 years and 180 days then its gone, but this is from philadelphia parking authority. Any thoughts or advice would be great. thanks.

USAA Amex 0/4000 USAA MC 0/4000k
Barclays apple 0/2000- recon'd from 1300 to 2k
Discover More 250/1700cl Capital One 0/500cl Amazon Store 0/600 Orchard 0/320 Paypal Smart Connect 0/300 Amex zync 500 auto pay
Ex 699 7/12 CU pull -auto loan beacon 5
EX FICO from AMEX-657
Eq 688 6/12
Tu 679 6/12
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Old parking tickets from about 10 yrs ago.

I'd ask an attorney if you can be held accountable for city parking tickets outside of regular SOL. Don't know if this is a zombie debt and unenforceable in a court of law(judgement) or to report.  Anyone can you chime in???

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 12
stevehbold
Valued Member

i know it has never been put on my credit reports ever. i know the tickets were in 2002. i would have thought they would have put it on as a collection well before now if they were going to. and if they do could i just ask them to validate the debt?

USAA Amex 0/4000 USAA MC 0/4000k
Barclays apple 0/2000- recon'd from 1300 to 2k
Discover More 250/1700cl Capital One 0/500cl Amazon Store 0/600 Orchard 0/320 Paypal Smart Connect 0/300 Amex zync 500 auto pay
Ex 699 7/12 CU pull -auto loan beacon 5
EX FICO from AMEX-657
Eq 688 6/12
Tu 679 6/12
Message 3 of 12
annielorie
Valued Contributor

gogle parking ticketts in city and find out SOL

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 4 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The CRTP on something like this is 7-7.5 yrs as mentioned. The SOL can vary by state. In some states SOL might only be a few year. I know of at least one state the SOL never expires, just like murder (I think it's AZ or NM).

Even if SOL and CRTP expired, they can collect forever, they just can't report or sue. PA should list the SOL for parking tickets within their codes/laws/regs. If for sure expired, I'd ignore them.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Linebarger has a long and ignominous history of buying zombie parking debt from local governments.  I myself received a Linebarger nastygram some years back that demanded $4000 for a total of 4 (that's right, 4) unpaid parking tickets in Baltimore.  They never reported this matter to the CRAs.  The city of Baltimore ended up forgiving the debt of anyone who appeared before a judge and asked nicely.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-04-20/news/0904190081_1_parking-fines-overdue-parking-parking-...

If the tickets are more than 7 years old, ignore the letter.  If less, deal with the city - not Linebarger.

One issue that the statute of limitations might not cover is vehicle titling and registration.  Many states will not let you title or register a vehicle - nor renew your drivers license - if you have outstanding fines.  Some municipalities will even seize your car and sell it to recoup fines.  If you no longer live in the state where the tickets are issued, you're in the clear.  If you're still in-state, you might want to inquire with the DMV. 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wondering if anyone has any updates on dealing with this firm...

I received notice of several very old (2005 and older) parking tickets in Chicago.  The language used in the letter is interesting; it doesn't have the usual blurb about this being an "attempt to collect a debt" etc.

What it does say is:  "We will soon be making a determination as to whether you are a candidate for further collection efforts such as wage and bank account garnishment, and filing a lien against your home and other property."

I'm really tempted to just ignore it.  I don't live in Illinois and so it's doubtful I'll have to register a car there.  And it doesn't sound like they're even threatening to report it to CRAs yet.

(I'm not sure if the tickets are even legitimate.  They might be but I also thought I had paid them off back then.  And no, 8 years later I don't have any records of it...)

Message 7 of 12
TrishN
Established Contributor

if iam not wrong. i asked guiness and i called my lawyer. same answer traffic and gov ticket have no SOL. so pay for it always better.But make sure you ask for paper to show the web to the court that you own $. on the paper they send to you will have your case numbers and the address you can look up for your ticket.( again look for your case numbers and online address then google for court phone number,then you can call in and find out to make sure is not scam) if you dont pay for it they may put judgment on your credit report! good luck

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 8 of 12
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Parking tickets have no SOL. On the other hand since they are not consider a consumer debt I would consult a consumer attorney to seek advise if the CA is allowed to put them on your credit reports. The DMV in your state could suspend your drivers lic until its paid.

Message 9 of 12
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

As i understand it there is no SOL for municipal fines. You owe them forever. There probably is a SOL for you to dispute them or request a court date. It is probably something like 60 days. I got some of those too for old Chicago parking tickets going back to 1997 just a couple days ago.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.