Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old, small medical bills in collections but not showing on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old, small medical bills in collections but not showing on credit report

Hi, 

I have a few small ($<30) medical bills which I've found have been in collections for upwards of 14 months but are not showing on my credit report.  I'd like to pay the bills but I'm nervous the collector will then report to the CRAs that I paid in full and I'll then show a paid collection on my reports.  Can anyone advise if they've been in a similar situation and what happened?

I feel like my best move is to hold on to the collections letters until I've secured the credit that I'm seeking and then pay off the debts.  In the meantime, if the debts show on my credit report I'll pay them off and write a GW letter.  

I've thought about calling the collections agency and offering to pay the debt if they do not report it but  there's nothing stopping them from saying "well, how about we just report it anyway?"  

Thanks,

SD

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LavendarL
Established Member

Re: Old, small medical bills in collections but not showing on credit report

I think you are better off paying them before they hit your report rather than waiting until they hit your report to try and goodwill them off.

If I were you, I would just call them and ask them to fax you something in writing stating they will not report this to the CRAs if you pay in full by today's date or whatever.

2/2011:
EFX Beacon 5.0 - 540, XPN FICO II - 619, TUC Classic 04 -

CURRENT SCORES (3/13): EFX Beacon 5.0 - 588, EXP FAIR ISAAC 627, TU FICO 658

GOAL: 700

Message 2 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

I have a few small ($<30) medical bills which I've found have been in collections for upwards of 14 months but are not showing on my credit report.  I'd like to pay the bills but I'm nervous the collector will then report to the CRAs that I paid in full and I'll then show a paid collection on my reports.  Can anyone advise if they've been in a similar situation and what happened?

I feel like my best move is to hold on to the collections letters until I've secured the credit that I'm seeking and then pay off the debts.  In the meantime, if the debts show on my credit report I'll pay them off and write a GW letter.  

I've thought about calling the collections agency and offering to pay the debt if they do not report it but  there's nothing stopping them from saying "well, how about we just report it anyway?"  

Thanks,

SD

I would just pay the CA the small amount, once they receive payment ( Certified Check ) don't give your banking info (EVER) ask them to send a letter that they will not list the collection as paid. 

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, 

Thanks,

SD

There is nothing to stop them from doing that.  However, if they said the wouldn't and did it any way, an oral agreement is just as binding.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.