Regular Contributor
sharpie

Old stuff keeps rising up daily!

[ Edited ]

Today I decide to go open a new checking account at a credit union, to get away from BOA.  Unfortunately, the new CU merged with an old CU, where I had an auto loan that got repossessed in the 90's.  There is a balance that was charged off.  They won't let me open a checking account unless I set up direct deposit and a payment arrangement.  Well, I said I was not comfortable with depositing my whole paycheck there, which they understood.  So, we agreed on a savings account, direct deposit agreed upon amount of payment, have the small payment taken out every month.

Since I had to make a $5.00 deposit to open the account, and had no cash, I left to go get some from BOA.  But upon thinking for a second, thought that if I made a payment it would reset the SOL.  I don't mind paying them off, but will not have the cash to PIF.  I am NOT however, willing to get sued.  At the time of the charge off, I was on disability and my checks were not garnishable.  Now I am retired, and they are.

They would probably agree to put in writing that as long as I continue making payments they will not try to sue me, but not sure that I would even trust that.

This CU handles their own mortgages in-house and they do not sell them.  I ultimately want to get a mortgage from them.

Advice?

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Old stuff keeps rising up daily!

IMO, any chance to pay off old debts the better. YMMV on your state's laws as to whether a payment resets SOL. If you opt for payments then don't stop until paid.

Regular Contributor
sharpie

I agree with you llecs.  I want to pay it off, I just don't want to get sued in the interim when I have an almost clean credit report.  Although I guess a clean CR means nothing if you already defaulted on a loan at the place you want the mortgage from.  (and rightfully so)  ;o)

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

If concerned they might break the agreement, definitely get it in writing.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+