Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old tax liens on public record

tag
climbinghigher
Valued Member

Old tax liens on public record

Does anyone have experience with tax liens on their cr? I have 2 IRS liens filed 3/2002. The tax was asessed in 1999, so the collection process is over. I read somewhere that Eq and TU drop it after 15 yrs. and EX never drops an unpaid lien. My TU score is 735. I have 2 cards pif monthly. I'm trying to get to 750. Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Old tax liens on public record

@climbinghigher wrote:

Does anyone have experience with tax liens on their cr? I have 2 IRS liens filed 3/2002. The tax was asessed in 1999, so the collection process is over. I read somewhere that Eq and TU drop it after 15 yrs. and EX never drops an unpaid lien. My TU score is 735. I have 2 cards pif monthly. I'm trying to get to 750. Thanks for any suggestions.

Are these both unpaid? They can report forever with all 3 CRA's. Paid liens stay 7 years from date of payment.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
scrubs
Regular Contributor

not onlt tax lien is forever (irs) at some point irs is going after you in a hard way, set up a payment plain talk with an lawyer. interest is still adding up.

Message 3 of 9
climbinghigher
Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if anyone has had a tax lien and how much they were able to raise their score down the road.

Scrubs....an IRS tax lien is for 10 years from date of acessment, unless they have reason to believe you can pay it past the 10 years. Mine is over with the IRS. I have it in writing from the IRS.

I have heard different people having different results on their cr. I was wondering if anyone has had a personal experience with this.

Thanks for the replies

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought tax liens remained on credit reports for ten years from date of payment.

** Edit:  They remain 7 years from date paid.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax liens report for seven years from the date paid; and for fifteen years on EXperian -- but forever on EQuifax & TransUnion if unpaid. 

EXperian's site says unpaid tax liens remain for 15 years. A paid tax lien will remain for seven years.

EQuifax's site says unpaid liens generally remain on your credit file indefinitely; paid tax liens generally remain for 7 years from the date released (paid);

TransUnion's site says unpaid tax liens remain on file indefinitely. Paid tax liens remain on file for seven years from the date paid.

Hope that's helpful.

Message 6 of 9
froggySD
Established Member

You can check my current thread for my own case history. But the gist is that your lien will magically disappear from your TU CR in March 2012 with no action needed on your part.

That isn't someone quoting you from the TU website. That's someone telling you what actually happened this month with a lien filed February 2001 that was never paid and was released after the SOL ran out.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

here's the link to the thread froggy's referring to

Message 8 of 9
climbinghigher
Valued Member

Thanks beamMeup for the link to Froggy's thread. 

Thank you Froggy for sharing your experience. I was hoping to hear from someone like you that has actually gone through this. I know someone that had the exact situation. She kept looking at her cr and one day the lien was gone. It was so many years ago that she couldn't remember the details and time frames. Have you checked Ex and Eq?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.