Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On The Way Up! Rebuild Thread with data points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

On The Way Up! Rebuild Thread with data points

he After years of never really focusing on it, I decided to fix my credit. The process really started in Feb, with scores in the low 500's. At that time, I had just one credit card from Credit One Bank and an auto loan with a 28% interest rate, with a balance of $3800. Have been an authorized user on a family member's card, with no utilization and $10K limit. Have a loan to family, and pay $300 a month on that. Income is at $63k, and recently got a part-time job to help pay down debt and fund a side business. 

The first step was getting all my collections paid and off the credit report. I had 7, and all but one are gone. The total amount of those collections was close to $5500 Have one major car loan that was defaulted on in 2014 with Wells Fargo. After trying to settle with them, they decided to just charge it off as paid in full, and send me the tax forms at the end of the year. Still waiting for that to update on my report. There is one 30 day late from a personal loan in 2012. Other than that, my credit report was kind of thin. 

In March, opened another card with Credit One. This is the Platinum, with no annual fee. Expecting to keep this open, and currently has a limit of $500, and keep the balance around 30% utilization. 

In April, things started to pick up. Several collections fell off, and scores jumped. Hopped on the forums here, and started to figure out what to do for next steps.

Last Friday, my Transunion score hit 685, ex 628, eq 635. It was time for an app spree! Upgrading the car was the #1 priority. Got pre-approved for $20k at 8% with Summit Credit Union, who I've been with for 3 years for checking and savings. Next step was trying for additional lines of credit. Sent out around 10 apps-AMEX, Chase, Discover, Overstock, Nordstroms, Toyota, Wayfair, Capital One, and a few others. Out of that round, Discover gave me a secured CC offer which I turned down due to not being able to verify SS number, Capital One Platinum with a $300 limit, Overstock with $1k, Nordstroms at $300. Still waiting to hear back on Toyota and Wayfair. Shot down by AMEX and Chase due to the loan with Wells Fargo not being settled. Was happy with that to start, but a little bummed I didn't land a card I could really build with, other than the Cap One. So, I decided to try Summit again. Got the same loan processor that worked with me on the car loan, and after a quick chat, he approved me for a $2k limit!! I am stoked! It's a reward card, with 16.5% interest rate. 

Lesson out of those apps, try your local credit union first, before going to the big boys. Once that Summit Card grows a bit, and my scores go up, I'll be in a much better position to land a card I've had my eye on for some time.

After being stressed out about finances for far too much of my life, things are finally looking up. Plan on paying down my loan aggressively, and growing those cards over the next few years. Overstock is going to see a lot of use in the next year, as I'm replacing all my furniture. Cap One will hopefully be upgraded as soon as possible, going to put a lot of use on that one, and PIF a few times a month. Same for the Nordstroms card. Overstock, will be taking advantage of their 0% rate, and keeping a balance on that til the car loan is paid down to a better level. Summit card will be my everyday spender and PIF monthly. It the Garden til the end of the year, but might come out to try refinancing the car loan at some point if my score improves.

Hope this gives some inspiration for those starting their journey! Will be updating this thread in the future.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On The Way Up! Rebuild Thread with data points

Great data points and score improvement! Way to go!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous.

Congrats on your progress.  Give it about another year and get your EX scores up to about 660-680, then try again with Amex.  Sometimes they like to see what you are doing with your other cards.  I got approved 2 years ago with paid collections on my reports, so it is possible to get approved.  As for Chase, I can't offer any suggestions as I am blacklisted with them and Discover card would not unsecure the card with them that I had, but my past negative history with them might have factored into the equation.  Others have successfully had their secured Discover card converted, however. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Couple Updates, as I didn't fully go to the garden til May 31st:

Applied for Paypal Credit, as a hidden line of credit, and to take advantage of 6 months no interest. Upon first getting denied, got a call yesterday from a CSR stating the reason the denied was due to a fraud alert on my accounts. Turns out, I was approved, and got a line of $2k.

Applied for an Amazon Store Card. Was denied, and just got a statement saying it was due to too many new accounts and inquiries. Really wanted that card as I spend a lot at Amazon, and the 5% back would be swell. Will wait a few months for inquiries and accounts to age, then apply again.

Had to verify more information for Toyota and Wayfair. Was told 7 to 10 days, expecting it to be denied. 

Was shopping on Pottery Barn, and just for fun decided to try the SCT. Got approved for $1.5k!

So, that's it. Out of this round, I added $6,800 to my overall credit line, with $4800 reporting to the bureaus. Maybe I'll luck out and get the Toyota and Wayfair cards as well! To the garden til November,  when hopefully I can get in with PenFed, AMEX, and secure that Amazon Store Card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.