Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the Way Back to Higher Ground!

tag
Eterion
Established Member

On the Way Back to Higher Ground!

Hey y'all,

So I was here a few years ago asking for advice to rebuild my credit. Started off with a secured credit card from my local credit union, then a low interest personal loan from them... eventually my score began to improve and I received pre-approved offers from Citi and Capital One... took those - my avg limit on each of those is about $3K.

I recently decided to check Chase's Pre-Q option on their site and was pre-qualified for their Freedom card. After some back and forth researching on the internet about the likelihood of getting approved (I have low INQs, 3 HPs, 1-2 years AAoA, 22% util, no baddies and a FICO around 733 from CK, I bit the bullet and applied.

*Was astounded to see my app was approved for a credit line of $7K. ** LOL, the message said I'd get my card and welcome materials within 7 to 10 days. I'm just wondering what if they're like "Ha! April Fools! (although I know its October right now) and are like - We're just messing with you. DENIED!" haha or something since this is easily my highest credit line yet.

That being said, since my credit already took a hit from the Chase HP, I've been eyeing a Discover card for quite some time now. Should I app for that too or wait a bit?

Again my current CR profile : I have low INQs, 3 HPs, 1-2 years AAoA, 22% util, no baddies and a FICO around 733 from CK

Thanks! Y'all have been a great help - and great emotional support lol.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On the Way Back to Higher Ground!

Congrat's on your progress. Terrific Job !! I'll leave the advise on the Discover Card to others more experienced. Too new at thsi stage.  Give yourself a big pat on the back for all of the hard work.

Message 2 of 10
Eterion
Established Member

Any input on whether to app for Discover today as well?

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!.....Thanks for sharing...Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Praised will be the day I don't see an "lol" behind every word in a forum that isn't really funny and that no one, even the OP would be doing so himself/herself.

On the other hand, congrats on the new card. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You mean you used us 3 years ago, dissapeared and coming back for help again! Ok, I'm joking. </sarcasm>

.... I think you would be fine apping with discover... if you want to be sure or want to possibly end up with a higher CL try and drop your utili alittle more this month.

@Eterion wrote:

Message 6 of 10
Eterion
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

You mean you used us 3 years ago, dissapeared and coming back for help again! Ok, I'm joking. </sarcasm>

.... I think you would be fine apping with discover... if you want to be sure or want to possibly end up with a higher CL try and drop your utili alittle more this month.

@Eterion wrote:

Haha I'm sowwwieee!!!!!  At least I remembered my account details rather than create a new name - that's gotta stand for something =)

I think my util will drop after the Chase CL kicks in - since its about as big as 2/3rd my current TLs at the moment.

My question is whether it'll hurt me more to app for the Discover in a month or so instead of now since I did the Chase app this morning?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eterion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Eterion wrote:

Haha I'm sowwwieee!!!!!  At least I remembered my account details rather than create a new name - that's gotta stand for something =)

I think my util will drop after the Chase CL kicks in - since its about as big as 2/3rd my current TLs at the moment.

My question is whether it'll hurt me more to app for the Discover in a month or so instead of now since I did the Chase app this morning?

Well it depends how many other inquirys you have? If just the Chase, then it shouldn't be an issue. Just once you app for Discover, take a break for a little bit.

Message 8 of 10
Eterion
Established Member

Anyway, I bit the bullet and app'd for Discover... and was denied! Sorta. Called recon and the rep told me I wasn't necessarily denied due to credit, but denied because my Equifax was frozen and they couldn't pull. So my app was essentially cancelled.

After trying to figure out how to contact EQ to unfreeze my CR (its worse than trying to get relevant help from the IRS) - I finally called back and asked another rep to pull a diff CR. They didn't tell me which one (I didn't bother to ask) - but once they had a CR in hand, they approved the app! My new Discover card is on its way (and will likely get here quicker than the Chase Freedom will based on some other comments on the board.

Thanks y'all and I'll try to be more active on here (not just when I'm posting about a major improvement) =P.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eterion wrote:

Anyway, I bit the bullet and app'd for Discover... and was denied! Sorta. Called recon and the rep told me I wasn't necessarily denied due to credit, but denied because my Equifax was frozen and they couldn't pull. So my app was essentially cancelled.

After trying to figure out how to contact EQ to unfreeze my CR (its worse than trying to get relevant help from the IRS) - I finally called back and asked another rep to pull a diff CR. They didn't tell me which one (I didn't bother to ask) - but once they had a CR in hand, they approved the app! My new Discover card is on its way (and will likely get here quicker than the Chase Freedom will based on some other comments on the board.

Thanks y'all and I'll try to be more active on here (not just when I'm posting about a major improvement) =P.

Congrats! Told ya you'd be approved! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.