cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the verge of giving up my rebuild..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On the verge of giving up my rebuild..

And I concur with the others, but I would add this:

It makes me very nervous to be dependent on one creditor, even if it is Cap1 and they are friendly to rebuilding.  Just one major policy change could make it uncomfortable, and I like diversity.

I would also recommend 3 to 4 cards, just like the others.  I went to SDFCU online and did an app to become a member and it was painless.  You can qualify for membership by joining an outside organization listed on their site, and the same with Nasa FCU.  Just check the 'who can join' links.  You can make an electronic deposit into a share account quickly and easily.  Though I do remember something went wrong with my Nasa Fcu app when i checked the box for funding with a Paypal deposit and I had to use my bank's bill pay to make it.  They held it for 10 days to avoid fraud, but it is Ok now.  The SDFCU app went smoothly.  If I had to choose just one, I would say SDFCU and getting the 500 share secured loan and paying it back over 36 months comes out to a little more than 14 a month.  A great deal to get TLs reporting to all 3 CRBs.

GL, stick with it, and it isnt something to really measure daily or weekly, but overall.  I was stuck in a range for about 6 months and then it started moving (ok, inching, alright crawling) in the general direction of up after that, but still a couple detours now and then.

I try to look at it as though I am seducing a creditor to do what I want them to do, not as though I am going to beat them at their game.

HTH

Message 11 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I had a nice and long post written out for you in my head until I saw your sig. In 6 months you've made significant progress. You went from credit scores where people would laugh at you hysterically to just poor. Which is a great thing. Let another 6 months go by and you will probably be at your goal score if you keep working hard. It s ucks to wait for scores to slowly build but it is the game. You will be more than fine.

Message 12 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I want to add something else -

I agree with the poster that suggested you could try going to an apartment complex and offering to pay maybe 2 or 3 months in advance, and keeping it paid in advance like that?  Kind of like a secured CC. 

For example, if rent is 1k a month, give them 2k in advance and keep making the regular monthly rent on due date.  When you get to a lease renewal, ask to go to normal pay, or if you want to move, stop paying two months early so you break even.

I use to be a landlord with four units and I would have been delighted to get that from a renter.

hth

Message 13 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might be asking something that is quite obvious but you mentioned you paid 6k in collections off? So do you mean they have been deleted from your credit report? I agree with a previous poster regarding the number, it doesn't matter what the number is, it is what your profile is like. Do you mind giving a little breakdown of what you profile might look like? That number is so ridiculously wonky I wouldn't worry too much and even then, you're put in a range so whatever.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have enough limits to get the maximum score with derogs on you report. You need to build up to $5000. It takes time and you may need 4 cards to do it but it's possible if you're diligent.
Message 15 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores were similar to yours in Feb. Let me suggest something I didn't see on this thread that I think helped me a LOT. Try to become an authorized user on a family members card. I got on my mom's card with a 5600 limit....No lates.....low utilization...it REALLY helped to shoot my scores up. Good luck. Please don't give up. 

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help, support, and replies yesterday everyone, you guys rock. Not giving up on this, just frustrated on the slow pace of it all, and just kinda got "fed up" yesterday...On a positive note, my Trans Union score did go up as a result of the stuff I mentioned yesterday, so that is great news. TU is clocking in at 584 I believe - will have to update my signiture in a bit.

All of your suggestions are appreciated, and I am going to look into getting a 3rd Credit Card of some sort over the weekend, and also investigate a loan from a credit union; see alot of people referencing Credit Unions - have never dealt with one, pretty much just banked with the major banks like BoA, Wells Fargo, etc. through the years.

Regarding the rental thing: I have whined about this on these forums before, so it goes like this: I do IT and creative/design work for a lucrative, niche-market company 3 miles away from the coast in the Northern San Diego County. Basically, to get a decent and safe-area 1/2 bedroom apt, duplex, house, etc. you must have scores at least in the 600 and ideally 650 range - REGARDLESS of your income, references, offers to pre-pay or use a large deposit, etc - the property owners/managers don't have to take or entertain those special deals - there is just too much competition for places in this area, and there are many wealthy people with better credit than mine who are vying for the same desireable / location rentals that I am. I have spoken to property managers in the area, and I have spoken to independent property owners, and they essentially told me that if you are looking to rent in this area, good luck without at least a score of 600 - and that is just the bare minimum to even have your rental app to get consideration.

So what have I been doing for a place to live? Well, for the last 3+ years, I have had a 46 year old cabinet maker roommate who smokes incredible amounts of pot daily, and just sits in from of the TV when not working - day in and day out. To each his own, and I must be getting old and cranky, because the roommate issues piss me off to no end; made a goal in February of this year that I would raise my FICOs and never have a roommate again - or at least not while I am working this particular job ( I have been at my present position for over 4 years and love what I do)

I'll get this eventually. At the end of the day this whole deal is my fault, as I've just always been kind of a "cash is king" / hate credit BS type of person...That coupled with my student loan default in 2010 has pretty much been the gist of the issue.

Anyhow, thanks so much to all of you for reading, helping, and letting me vent, I am very grateful. Will keep on keeping on, and just move on to the 3rd line of credit.

Have an excellent weekend everyone!

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

one more note here: the $6000 in collections I paid earlier in the year are marked as paid on my CR, but not deleted - made a few attempts to get deleted, and no-go.

defaulted student loans are in currently in the 9 month rehab program, and supposedley will be removed from my CRs after 9-10  months.

wage garnishment from defaulted student loans off in 3 months as well.

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The card your paying in full needs to be paid in full before the statement cuts so it doesn't show the $800 balance on your credit reports.If your paying it 2 days before the bills due chances are the statement already closed showing that balance
Message 19 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Harley-

Thanks for the tip - but yes, I aware that report dates are different - Cap One and my Wells credit cards are due on the 21st of the month, and each institution told me they report to the bureaus on the 25th of the month. 

So my payment 2 days early should have been ok.......or.......was it? AAARRRGGHHHHHHH !

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.