Established Member
dank83

Once a medical bill has gone to collections, can you still negotiate with the doctor or hospital?

I have several medical bills in collections right now.  I am going to tackle each one but I want to know if you can still negotiate or pay the doctor or hospital directly instead of dealing with the collection company? 

They keep saying that the debt is sold to a collection company but I have a hard time believing that the collection company bought my debt from the doctor because I know if I walk into the office and write them a check they will gladly take it and they won't say "we don't want the money because the collection company bought your debt."

How exactly does the whole process with collection companies and payment work?

Established Member
kcc

Re: Once a medical bill has gone to collections, can you still negotiate with the doctor or hospital

Medical bills are handled differently from other bills. Do a search for medical collections. If you follow all the HIPAA steps correctly you can pay the OC and get it removed from your credit report. This process requires a series of letters in the correct order to work.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+