Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Account Two Collections

tag
rwest898
Established Member

One Account Two Collections

I am new to this forum but have been lurking.  I have a question on how to possibly have something removed on my CR. I had an account which was closed and written off, but evidently purchased by another lender.    One is showing "Account paid in full for less than full balance" and the other states "Purchased by another lender".  Do you think I can possibly have at least one of the removed from my CR. If so, how do I do so. I was going to complete the form on Experian but not sure exactly what to say, or if there is any recourse to remove it at all.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  The CR says it will stay on my record until May 2016 (the one I paid)  but the other one has no date in which it will be removed.  Thanks everyone.

My Wallet: Barclay NFL $3700/Barclay Rewards MC $1500/Discover IT $1600/Wells Fargo Visa $1000/USAA Classic Visa $1000/Capital One QS $300/Victoria Secret $1950/Express Next $750/NFCU $7000/HSN $1400/Amex Delta $1000/CCCU $2000
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: One Account Two Collections

You can have 2 TLs for the same debt if one is the OC and the other is a CA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
rwest898
Established Member

So I guess the OC is there to stay? Sorry but do you mean OC meaning Original Credit?

My Wallet: Barclay NFL $3700/Barclay Rewards MC $1500/Discover IT $1600/Wells Fargo Visa $1000/USAA Classic Visa $1000/Capital One QS $300/Victoria Secret $1950/Express Next $750/NFCU $7000/HSN $1400/Amex Delta $1000/CCCU $2000
Message 3 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@rwest898 wrote:

So I guess the OC is there to stay? Sorry but do you mean OC meaning Original Credit?

OC = Original Creditor

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

OC accounts themselves are not subject to credit report exclusion.  Only derogs reported under the account become excluded based on their individual credit report exclusion dates.  Any charge-off reported under the OC account would become excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD, and any monthly delinquencies reported by the OC would become excluded no later than 7 years from their date of occurence.

Since the OC sold the debt, they were required to have updated their reporting to show $0 debt balance owed to them.  They are then finished with their required reporting.

Once the derogs become excluded, the account would remain, and show $0 balance, sold to another.

The new owner is then reporting a collection.  By definition, a collection is considered an adverse item of information in and of itself, and thus becomes excluded in its entirely from your credit report no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.

Thereafter, the OC account could remain, with no indication of the ultimate status of the sold debt.

That could result in questions being asked when you app for new credit, as your CR would no longer show the collection, and thus status of the debt as having been paid or remaining unpaid.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.