Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Year and Significant Progress

tag
professor_g
Valued Member

One Year and Significant Progress

A year ago after I secured my dream job as a professor and a secure income I made the decision to clean up my credit.  I was careless with my student credit cards as an undergrad and didn't have the means to clean things up on my meager grad student salary, so I had some work ahead of me.  This time last year I obtained copies of my credit reports and began my journey (with the help of this forum) to repair my credit.   You'll note in my sig that my scores were super low! That summer I successfully PFD and GW any lates I had, I also tracked down old debts that were no longer on my CR and paid those off as well.   

Last July I was able to get a Secured CapOne card ($250 limit), and later after building rapport with my CU I obtained a CC with a CL of 2.5K from them as well.   I later applied for BofA Americard Cash Rewards and was approved for $500.00.  My car unexpectedly broke down and I was able to purchase my first new car.  I locked in an APR of 3.9% with NMAC.  That December I decided to take the risk and apply for CCs with Macy's and Dillards for holiday shopping, but successes (Macy's initial limit $600.00 and Dillards 1K).  I kept util below 5% and made sure all my payments were on time.  in March I asked for CLI from Dillards and Macy's and was successful (1K for Macy's and 1.5K for Dillards).   In April after 6mo with my BofA card I took the hard inquiry for a CLI and was approved for 1.5K.   In May CU was offering a promotion on car refi's so I also applied for that and locked in a better APR of 2.75% and brought my payments down, at that time I also asked if it would be possible to get at CLI on my CC and that was approved as well (10K).  

In May I went on a App Spree and was approved for the following cards (at this time my scores were above 720 across the board):

Chase Southwest Rewards: 5K (8-10 day response, approved via backdoor number)

Amex BCE:  2K (Online Instant Approval - first time ever this happens)

Discover IT: 9K (Online Instant Approval)

Citi TY Preferred: 5K

While I know some will chastise me for taking out so much credit at one time, but I felt I needed multiple rewards cards to get the maximum return on my everyday spending. I also travel frequently and often have to wait to get reimbursed so I wanted a card that was specifically for that need and didn't bring my util up while I wait to get reimbursed.  I am also having a surgery that my insurance has refused to cover, so the costs of that will be split between two of my new cards that have 0% APR for 12mos. I am indefinitely in the Garden for a year or year and a half.  At that time I plan to purchase a home.  My score remains in the 720s despite the multiple inquiries and new accounts.  I also am very vigilant about spending and meticulously keep my util between 8 and 10%. 

For those of you struggling, it takes a lot of patience and research but there are so many answers and resources on this forum.  To those who are regular contributors and offer sound advice or just share their experiences, thank you.  Good luck folks! 

In My Wallet: AZSTCU Visa (13K) I Discover It (13K) I Home Depot (8K) I Citi TYP (6.2K) I Amex BCE (6K) I Dillard's Amex (5.5K) I BOA Cash Rewards (5K) I Chase Southwest Visa (3.25K) I Chase Freedom (3.25K) I Lowe's (2.25K) I Macy's (1.3K)

Starting Score: EX 586 EQ 551 TU 583 Current Score: EX 755 (CU PULL) EQ 803 TU 725
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
toi34
Established Contributor

Re: One Year and Significant Progress

Awesome! Did you have a lot of collections/charge-offs to take care of? 

Message 2 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Nice work prof!!!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 13
professor_g
Valued Member

At the start I had 3 collections that were still on my reports and two which had already fallen off my report but paid anyway.   I had quite a few lates from one of my students loans and GW them until I got them removed (for some I had to prove I was enrolled because the lates were posted to my CR because the registrar failed to report my enrollment for my deferment to kick in).   

At the start I had no revolving credit.  

In My Wallet: AZSTCU Visa (13K) I Discover It (13K) I Home Depot (8K) I Citi TYP (6.2K) I Amex BCE (6K) I Dillard's Amex (5.5K) I BOA Cash Rewards (5K) I Chase Southwest Visa (3.25K) I Chase Freedom (3.25K) I Lowe's (2.25K) I Macy's (1.3K)

Starting Score: EX 586 EQ 551 TU 583 Current Score: EX 755 (CU PULL) EQ 803 TU 725
Message 4 of 13
roniram
Regular Contributor

Congrats!  I hope to be close to where you are in 12 months as well. 

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 13
diva_1515
Valued Member

That's wonderful! I probably won't be able to be approved for crdit until my PAID tax liens fall off unfortunately.

Message 6 of 13
electra
Established Contributor

@ctaylor09 wrote:

That's wonderful! I probably won't be able to be approved for crdit until my PAID tax liens fall off unfortunately.

Not true ctaylor....I'm proof there is hope. Smiley Happy  I got my first $5k CC with 6 tax liens on my credit...2 of them (HUGE) showing as unpaid.  I now am down to 3 paid which will fall off in the next 7 months or so and I was just approved for both an AMEX BCP and a CSP.  My original $5k CC is now at $25k.  Oh, and I got a $30k car loan at 1.79%.   

prof...congrats on the great work!!  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
toi34
Established Contributor

@Electra....HOW was that possible???? I don't believe it. I cannot even get a US Bank card with 2 CO's and 3 collections whose total is under 3gz.

Message 8 of 13
kmids
New Contributor

congratulations sir! I need to read posts like these to keep me motivated. 

Message 9 of 13
kmids
New Contributor

ok question... How exactly did you build a "rapport" with the credit union. I'm hoping to get a card from a CU and hopefully a car loan and I dont know how to go about it.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.