Did you mean: 

One debt multiple collection agencies?

tag
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

One debt multiple collection agencies?

Hi,

I hope someone can help me understand this:

In 2008 I signed up for a non-accredited school program (at the time I did not realize it was non-accredited) (also, this may seem like it should be posted in student loans, however, being that it is a non-accredited "college program" I am postin in this forum)

I had a loan through agency "A"

Agency "A" paid the online "college" company the full loan amount upon me signing up for the online "college"

After not receiving ANY online education, I stopped my bank from paying the automatic monthly withdraws to Agency "A"

Move forward to 2010...Agency "A" sold my debt to Agency "B".

The same year, Agency "B" sold my debt to Agency "C" (agency "C" has since raised my debt $2,000 for their "fees"

Here's my question:

Agency "A" shows up on my Equifax credit report as:

Account Number: AGENCY "A" ORIGINAL CREDITOR/LOANXXX000000XXXXXXX Status:CHARGE-OFF 
Account Owner:Individual Account. High Credit: 
Type of Account An installment loan has a fixed number of payments and the same payment due each month, such as a car loan or student loan.:InstallmentCredit Limit: 
Term Duration:1 Months Terms Frequency:Monthly (due every month) 
Date Opened:03/01/2008  Balance:$3,536  
Date Reported:04/01/2010 Amount Past Due:$324 
Date of Last Payment:03/2010 Actual Payment Amount: 
Scheduled Payment Amount:$108  Date of Last Activity:N/A
Date Major Delinquency First Reported:04/2010 Months Reviewed:25 
Creditor Classification: Activity Designator:N/A 
Charge Off Amount:$3,536  Deferred Payment Start Date: 
Balloon Payment Amount: Balloon Payment Date: 
Date Closed: Type of Loan:Education Loan 
Date of First Delinquency:12/2009 
Comments:

Charged off account, 
Fixed rate  

Agency "B" has removed the above sold account from Transunion and Experian after I wrote them a letter last week (below is what was on Transunion last week prior to removal):

Potentially Negative

702-xxx-xxxxMore Account Details

Account Name    AGENCY "B" 
Account #  6XXXX 
Account Type  Collection Account 
Balance  $3,702.00 
Date Opened  4/5/2010

Here is now what Agency "C" has been reporting on Experian:

Potentially Negative Closed

214-xxx-xxxxMore Account Details

Account NameAGENCY "C" 

Account #50XXXX   
Account TypeCollection Department / Agency / Attorney   
Balance$5,626.00 <---$2,000 increase (legal fees, etc etc)  

Date Opened

11/1/2011

AGENCY "B" even called me today to make sure the negative item was removed from my Transunion credit report and that I was satisfied, I was shocked.

I now have Agency "A" reporting on Equifax as listed above, and Agency "C" reporting on Experian as listed above.

I sent AGENCY "A" and AGENCY "C" certified letter asking to prove validation of the debt. AGENCY "A" replied to my email (which also had a copy of the certified letter attached) She asked me to call her. I didn't. Who is collecting this debt? I am so confused on my next step... Keep in mind, the Company that was paid the loan from AGENCY "A" is involved in a soon to be class action lawsuit for fraud.

The only other negative on my reports is an account that has been paid in full. No bankrupty, etc...etc...

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: One debt multiple collection agencies?

Only one collection agency can attempt to collect at a time.  If one sold the debt to another collection agency, the first one has to delete their reporting.

Message 2 of 3
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

Re: One debt multiple collection agencies?

Thank you for replying. All of this credit stuff can be so confusing and myfico memebers have helped me understand so many different things, so thank you again for the info! 

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.