Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One down, three to go! Aalso, questions about student loan 160 day lates

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One down, three to go! Aalso, questions about student loan 160 day lates

I have five baddies on my credit report:

2004: Collections from Credit First (paid in full 2005)

2004: Collections from Providian (paid in full 2005)

2008: 160 day lates on student loan #1

2008: 160 day lates on student loan #2

2003: 30 day late on personal line of credit

I'm not too worried about the 30 day late from 2003 because it's not affecting things much right now and it'll fall off next year anyway.  I'm figuring the student loans are going to be difficult because of their recency (I had spinal surgery in 2007 and was out of work for a while, and then was struggling to catch up when I was hit with a large suprise bill for the surgery which compounded problems and caused financial difficulty) and because I'm not very expectant that I'll have luck with those two.  So I've been concentrating on the two collections from 2004.  Both are legimate and paid in full.

I just heard back from Credit First in response to a goodwill letter I sent out last month stating that they're deleting the account from my reports!  I can't believe I got such a good response on my first try; I must have danced around the house for an hour.

So now I can focus on the collection from Providian in 2004; hopefully my good luck will hold and I can get that one removed as well.

Question from those who have had experience with lates on student loans: What has your success been with them?  I'm not holding my breath that I can do anything about them because of their recency but if there's a chance I'll try.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One down, three to go! Aalso, questions about student loan 160 day lates

Nice going on the Credit First!

Remember that all the collection from providian must delete approx 7 years from DOFD  not when paid. What is the DOFD reported by providian?    Look at your CR EX or TU for the drop date.

Keep all hard copies with Providian reporting as Chase bough them out and you do not want a chance that the drop date will be re-aged!!

Who is reporting the CC account....OC or CA or both?

Go to the SL board they will be more help on the lates for SL.

What is the DOFD on the personal line of credit?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

when you say hard copies is it your first pull on your CR?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the CC account, it is actually only Portfolio Recovery that is reporting it; they purchased the debt from Providian.  They had both been reporting it but I successfully disputed that and now it's just Portfolio Recovery.  The DOFD that Portfolio is showing is is 10/2005 which is probabably accurate; I might have been off my a year in my original post.

The DOFD on the personal line of credit is December 2002, and it is scheduled to drop in December of this year.  As it's just a 30 day late and it's so close to being gone at this point I'm guessing that it's not affecting my credit rating enough to be worth going after with a goodwill letter.

Thanks for the idea on student loan advice...I will follow up on the SL board.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

How would I find the DOFD for Providian, before Chase bought them?

I just got my reports 1 month ago.  It doea not say.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.