cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One medical collection split and reporting as twelve collections!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

One medical collection split and reporting as twelve collections!

I am trying to figure something out on a credit report.  From August through December 2015 my friend had kidney stones and was seen at a urology clinic several times.  After his Medicare paid its part, he was left with around $3,000 on his bill.  Since he is on Social Security he wasn't able to pay, so it went to collections.  The thing is, it doesn;t show up as one big medical collection, instead they have broken it up into parts and put 12 (!) seperate collections listings on each of his credit reports.  What should be done to try and take care of this for him?

Note: The individual filed for Ch 7 in August 2015, discharged December 2015.  Tried to talk to the clinic and explain that fact, but they said they weren't included so too bad so sad.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: One medical collection split and reporting as twelve collections!

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to figure something out on a credit report.  From August through December 2015 my friend had kidney stones and was seen at a urology clinic several times.  After his Medicare paid its part, he was left with around $3,000 on his bill.  Since he is on Social Security he wasn't able to pay, so it went to collections.  The thing is, it doesn;t show up as one big medical collection, instead they have broken it up into parts and put 12 (!) seperate collections listings on each of his credit reports.  What should be done to try and take care of this for him?

Note: The individual filed for Ch 7 in August 2015, discharged December 2015.  Tried to talk to the clinic and explain that fact, but they said they weren't included so too bad so sad.

Medical billing systems are designed by crooks IMHO, each visit is a separate billing and therefore ends up a separate collection and there are multi billings from docs and other providers too. Only thing that will take care of them is settling each one.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One medical collection split and reporting as twelve collections!

Thank you gDale6 for the advice!   I have contacted the insurer to get their payment history, and will take a look at that first to make sure it has all been credited correctly, then I will talk to the OC about writing off the rest.  Have a great week!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.