cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One more collection and all my reports will be clean!!!!

tag
Truth316
New Contributor

One more collection and all my reports will be clean!!!!

I have one Medical Collection for $70 left on my Equifax report, I'm pretty sure this collection isn't mine seeing is I haven't been to the Dr in quite some time, but when i dispute the account it comes back as verified. How should I approach this collected? I would really like to start looking for a home soon.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One more collection and all my reports will be clean!!!!

I would suggest starting off by asking them to show proof that the account belongs to you.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you submitted request through the credit bureau basically all they do is ask the company that placed the debt, is this debt valid? That is the extent of any "investigating" they do. So Kaye is exactly right contact the placer and ask for proof. If they are rude, just correspond through email if it is yours then negotiate a pay for delete in writing. Idk why some collection companies are just pure nasty when you call in trying to pay a bill. The one that held my wives collection was made up of pure scum who hung up on me, and lied about who superiors were. This led me to negotiate with the original company who sent her to collects, costing the nasty scumbags any commission or junk fees they would of gotten. 

Message 3 of 5
Truth316
New Contributor

Thanks guys! Btw does anyone happen to have an email for Holloway Credit Solutions?
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt validation process has requirments and limitations.

When did the debt collector send dunning notice?

DV requests are only timely if sent within 30 days of dunning notice.

Even if timely a DV imposes no period for or requirment to send validation.  They can choose to simply remain under the cease collection bar that is iimposed by a timely DV, and never respond.  Thus, you will be in limbo, with no resolution,until they choose to respond.

Additioanlly, debt validation, as interpreted by most relevant case law, does not require the debt collector to submit "proof" of the debt.

It requuries them to investigate and send the consumer their finding as to verification of the debt.

Debt validation is not a legal process that requires them to prove the debt.

If the debt is not yours, you should consider filing a police report asserting your lack of any authorization of any account that is asserted to be the basis for the debt, and then using the identity theft process under FCRA 605B to get the collection blocked from your credit report as being based on someone having used your identity.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.