cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One reporting agency has wrong info on a debt, should this be enough?

tag
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

One reporting agency has wrong info on a debt, should this be enough?

I have a debt on my creditkarma freebie report that says it was created in 2009 for 1310 dollars by a collection agency.  The original debt has fallen off but the collection agencys year was updated to 2009.

This is the only one of my 3 reports that still has this on there, the original time was 2004 for last payment.  I have 2 of my older credit reports that do show the correct dates but under the original amount and original creditor, I am not positive (I am at work) but I may also have on one of my other reports this collection with the correct date under the collection agencys name.

Either way my question is, if I make copies of my old reports and highlight the correct dates and send in a dispute is that enough?  I dont have much more information to go on other than my old reports as the debt is so old I have no paperwork.  (I dont think)  Thanks all in advance.  Any tips on a dispute letter would help too, if none I was just going to google a template type anf fill in the blanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One reporting agency has wrong info on a debt, should this be enough?

If the debt in question is past the 7.5 year mark for DOFD then dispute it with the CRA as too old. Give them what you believe is the correct DOFD. If that doesn't work request a DV from the CA. If the OC has fallen of because of time the CA should also.

Message 2 of 7
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Thanks for input!

I am lazy so thought I would see if you could dispute online and you can!

Best part is you can see your whole report to simply click whats wrong, then click a button for category and add your comments
(Clicked LTD Services financial, clicked innaccurate and then left comment that the SOL is past and my last payment to original creditor was 2006)

They have THD CBNA (original creditor) last payment of 3/9/2006 listed on the report I viewed so it "SHOULD" be very easy for them to see that LTD services changed the date when they bought the account in 2009.  

Woo hoo it says they have a month to report back to me but I am hoping its nice quick and easy.

If not I have to write them a letter and show supporting documents (which all I have are my old credit reports, which did not matter as TU still shows the original debt in the dispute process so anything I have to send, they have already on file)

Heres to hoping its gone within a month!  Then figure out HIPAA process for 2 medical collections for about 600 bucks! (Sad I know its such a little amount, its amazing how costly the emergency room is!  original bill was about 4000 for a tylenol and a go home and come back if its worse)  Then I am done, nothing else I can do for my report until my paid judgements fall off.

Message 3 of 7
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

10/10/14 to 10/14/14 is all the time it took was kind of surprised it was so fast.

ITEM DESCRIPTION RESULTS

LTD FINANCIAL SERVICES# 60**************DELETED

It said click to view an updated credit report and its gone but now I have the original THD Home Depot on  it  Its got last payment made 3/9/2006, time to be removed jan of 2015 and notes >Maximum Delinquency of 120 days in 10/2008 and in 12/2008 for $299<  so atleast thats gone in 2 months or so.

I went through my other reports and I realized they were too old to tell if this was removed from them.  They were scheduled to be removed by now but im not 100% so time to get it off those reports too if its there!

Message 4 of 7
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Got all my stuff together, 1 home depot to be removed off of TU should be no problem,they just removed the creditor who bought it at my request.  (SOL)

Now its the above and the same on experian.  Oddly enough Equifax report is correct which is probably why its 650s score as opposed to high 500s on the other two.  So hoping for score bump to 650 on all reports after this is all fixed.  

Not much to reply to just keeping track of what I am doing Smiley Happy

*edit*

Transunion only lets you submit 1 request online (you can select multiple items in that request but you can only do it once) so I have to mail in the form to get the home depot removed.  =/

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Under FCRA 623(a)(5)(B)(i), if the creditor has previously reportted the DOFD on their account to a CRA, the debt collector is required to report that same date.

Yes, I would gather the evidence of prior reporting of the DOFD by the OC, making sure to clearly show that it related to the same debt that the OC apparently charged-off, and use that as basis for a dispute, asserting as statutory basis their non-compliance with section 623(a)(5)(B)(i).

You could either send the dispute directly to the debt collector, or send to the CRA.

In this case, since the CRA has the reported DOFD in their files, I would probably dispute via the CRA rather than using a direct dispute.

The CRA can use its reinvestigation authority to make the final decision as to DOFD, and if confirmed in your favor, then immediately make the required exclusion from their future credit reports.

Message 6 of 7
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Woo kind of excited, my freebie reports updated for TU and the LTD SRVS FINANCIAL is now gone from my reports.  It also does not show the home depot at all (it was on my updated report I got from TU when I disputed and also on my last month freebie reports) so not sure where that one went but its gone from the new reports!  Still not sure why my EQ is mid 650s when TU is at high 500s, they have the same info now.  (EQ never had wrong info)

one report on creditkarma went from 583 to 587 and the capitalone went from 591 to 587.

I am guessing the extra reports they say were removed was the home depot accounts but they list it as the collector?  Either way, nice Smiley Happy

Oct 20th 2 collection accounts removed

Your credit report no longer lists the following collections accounts. They may have been corrected or expired due to length of time on your credit report:

LTD FINANCIAL SERVICES
LTD FINANCIAL SERVICES

Oct 20th 1 collection accounts removed

Your credit report no longer lists the following collections account. It may have been corrected or expired due to length of time on your credit report:

LTD FINANCIAL SERVICES

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.