cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online dispute success?! For Cap1 30-day late!

tag
greenpang
Contributor

Online dispute success?! For Cap1 30-day late!

Ahhhh!! I'm so excited!!

I've been blowing up Cap1 customer service by phone repeatedly about a 30-day late. Same story every time, they say they can't do anything about it, despite reiterating how I've been such a great customer, blah blah. So I had already prepared a whole GW letter and was about to send it.

Everything I've read suggests that the basic online dispute system has little success for GW situations, but as I was reviewing my report on a dispute center, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try anyway since it only takes a minute to click through. All I did was select "Other" and type something like "Loyal customer with timely payments 2+ years. Please remove 30-day late from Sept. 2010." (Btw, I've submitted a dispute for this in the past to no avail.)

Just got the dispute results that it was removed!! Status now says "Open/Never late." Smiley Very Happy

Seriously great feeling. I think this even tops huge CLIs.

But now the GW letter I'd written will go to waste! I got feedback on another one that it was too long, so this may be as well, but I'll post it here in case others want to grab some ideas --

I have been a Capital One customer since May 2010 and have been consistently pleased with my experience working with you. I am writing to inquire whether you would be willing to make a “good will” adjustment to your reporting to the major credit bureaus, Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion. The credit bureaus list a 30-day late payment on the above referenced account in September 2010.

I sincerely apologize for this mistake. At the time, I was in the process of changing my primary bank account, and the missed payment resulted from an oversight; I neglected to switch the information for processing payments. I am extremely sorry for this irresponsible mistake, but I learned from this error and made it a priority to ensure that all payments would be made on time thereafter. In reviewing my account, you will see I have been an exceptional customer and have paid early or on time every month for over two years.

In May 2010, I opened this account as a “starter” credit line to allow me to build credit. Impressed with the convenience your company offers, I recommended Capital One to friends, colleagues, and my husband, who opened his first credit card with you as well.

Many thanks to the credit line you extended to me, I have established credit worthiness over the past 2.5 years and have outgrown my Platinum card. I now qualify for many cards with excellent rewards and higher credit limits, and among others, I am considering applying for CapitalOne’s VentureOne credit card to better suit my current needs.

As I have been pleased with Capital One’s convenience and customer service, I hope to continue to use credit lines from your company for many years to come. Given the competitive nature of today’s credit card industry, I know how important it is to maintain positive relationships with customers. I hope you will deeply consider my request and honor this adjustment in accordance with my loyalty to Capital One and my consistent on-time payments since the time of my error in September 2010.

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: Online dispute success?! For Cap1 30-day late!

Lol that is awesome! Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
greenpang
Contributor

Haha, I just noticed something weird about it though... The way they deleted the 30-day late from Sept. 2010 was by just chopping off a few months of my history...

So now it looks a little strange:

Date Opened:
05/2010
Reported Since:
12/2010

I hope "consistency of dates open vs. reported" isn't another crazy thing that contributes to FICO scores. Smiley Wink

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 3 of 8
KevinBlock55
Established Member

No but it could be their way of deleting the lates. Doesn't involve them lying and putting OK marks where you were legitimately late..
Message 4 of 8
sphinx313
Established Contributor

You never know with the secrecy of the system. I wouldn't put anything passed the scoring model honestly.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 8
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Great letter ! Thank you for sharing

CURRENT TLS:

AMAZON $2K/ WALMART $2K /DCU $3K DELTA AMEX $1K
DISCOVER $1.2K/ PAYPALEXT $2K /COSTCOTU $1.2K

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
8/1/13 EQ 694 - (myfico) -
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 7 of 8
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.