cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only have 1 card, apply for how many more?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Only have 1 card, apply for how many more?

@Anonymous wrote:

I know this is probably splitting hairs, but does it matter if the <10% is 1% or 9% in terms of your credit score?  On the one card I have currently I always leave a few bucks as a blance every month so that I am only paying pennies of interest instead of dollars.  If I had 3 cards I'd probably do the same, but would it be necessary to try and carry a 9% balance or so on one of the cards or would 1% be ok as well in terms of achieving maximum score points?

While there may be some score variation in the range from 1 to 9 percent, its not more than one or two points at best. Anything below 10% gets you within one or two points of your potential maximum score. Once you have a clean file and stable scores, you can experiment with different numbers to find your particular sweet spot. It seems to vary from one person to another.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've heard differing opinions on this.  Some say PIF every month, others say pay all but a dollar or two every month so that the company gets a few pennies of interest from you which gives them incentive to not ever close your account for some BS reason?

There is no advantage to "paying a few pennies" in interest. The CC companies make much more from the swipe fees. As long as the card is seeing decent usage, thats all that matters from their perspective. 

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Understood, that makes sense!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.