Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Collection?

tag
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Open Collection?

I could use some advice.  I have an open collection for a medical bill that went to collection in 2011.  My quesiton is, would paying it off at this point lower my credit score?  There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there on this matter?  Some say it will lower your score becuase it makes it look more recent and others are saying it doesn't impact your score.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Open Collection?

Paid or unpaid, a collection is scored the same by FICO.

If a collection has not updated for a while, then, yes, paying it could lower your score due to the date reported updating.

On the other hand, if the collection updates with the CRAs monthly, paying it should have no impact on your score.

Have you tried asking for a pay for delete?

Message 2 of 6
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

It hasn't updated since 2011.  I asked for a PFD but no-go.

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If it hasn't updated in that long then your score would drop.

Have you tired contacting the OC to see if you pay them would they recall the debt from the CA?

Message 4 of 6
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

No, I have not tried that.  I will do that on Monday!  Definitely worth a phone call!

Message 5 of 6
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

No go on the OC route.  They said it was too old.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.