Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open Collections

Hello,

I am new to the forums, but I have been reading them for a couple of weeks because of all of the good information.  I filed BK in November of 2010.  It was dischared in April of 2011.  There are two open collection accounts showing on my CR that were included in the BK.  One is a medical bill for $175.  The pay status reads "included in BK".  The balance is 0.  My question is eventhough the balance is 0, does the fact that account shows "open" hurt my score?

The second account is an account from ADT, a security company.  It was also included in the BK.  The account was originally placed for collection in 2009 with V&K according to my BK papers, but my CR shows it's with PFG.  It's shows date placed with PFG as 10/19/2011, which is 6 months after the BK was discharged, and the closed date shows 11/1/10 which is the date I filed BK.  The account type shows "open account". The balance is 0.  Unlike the medical collection, this one shows the pay status as "unrated" instead of "included in BK".  Any ideas how to handle this one since it was included in the BK in 2010, but was placed for collection with PFG 6 months after the BK was discharged?

These accounts are on my TU CR.

I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Veridian1

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Open Collections

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I am new to the forums, but I have been reading them for a couple of weeks because of all of the good information.  I filed BK in November of 2010.  It was dischared in April of 2011.  There are two open collection accounts showing on my CR that were included in the BK.  One is a medical bill for $175.  The pay status reads "included in BK".  The balance is 0.  My question is eventhough the balance is 0, does the fact that account shows "open" hurt my score? I do not think it to be a factor and I would just leave it alone.

The second account is an account from ADT, a security company.  It was also included in the BK.  The account was originally placed for collection in 2009 with V&K according to my BK papers, but my CR shows it's with PFG.  It's shows date placed with PFG as 10/19/2011, which is 6 months after the BK was discharged, and the closed date shows 11/1/10 which is the date I filed BK.  The account type shows "open account". The balance is 0.  Unlike the medical collection, this one shows the pay status as "unrated" instead of "included in BK".  Any ideas how to handle this one since it was included in the BK in 2010, but was placed for collection with PFG 6 months after the BK was discharged? This one I would send them a letter demanding it be completely removed from your CRs or you will bring legal action for reporting a collection on a discharged debt 6 months post discharge. Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

These accounts are on my TU CR.

I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Veridian1

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you gdale6.  I will write a letter tommorrow.  Any idea on how I should word it?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking, what do you think about filing a dispute with TU before wrting a letter to ADT?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I filed a dispute with TU on the phone this morning.

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I filed a dispute with TU on the phone this morning.

Sorry was too late to give you guidance on the letter. It would simply just state that this account was included in my Bk of xxxx that was discharged on xxxx, this collection was reported 6 months post the discharge and that would be in violation of the automatic stay, since it should never have occurred I demand immediate removal of the TL or I will take other actions to ensure its removal.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gdale6.  As I stated in my earlier post, I filed a dispute by phone.  They wanted me to mail supporting documentation and a description.  So I sent a copy of my discharge papers and the schedule that showed that the ADT bill had been included in the bankruptcy.  I also included a letter with wording similar to what you suggested.  I will post an update when I get the results of the investigation.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update

TU deleted the collection.  My score only went up 1 point after the deletion.  It's not much, but I'll take it.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.