Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSky - To Close Or Not???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OpenSky - To Close Or Not???

I'll keep this as short as possible, just looking for advice.

Started out in March of this year with FAKO's in mid to hi 400s. Was denied for a couple secured cards so I opened an Opensky w/ a $200 dep.

I feel this card has served its purpose as I now have three other secured cards, incl Disc It, Citi, and Cap 1, plus a QS1 w/ $500 CL.

I have over 30, 30 day lates on mortgage ( was running a month behind for almost 3 yrs) but have been current since March.

My question is, would closing a positive trayline affect long-term rebuilding? This is a card I never use and has no chance of graduating, but also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting rid of it positive trade line with so many negatives on my report.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditScoreChallenged
New Contributor

Re: OpenSky - To Close Or Not???

How long have you had your Opensky? I say pay it off and close it. Use that money to pay on something else. It will still remain apart of your credit profile however will not factor into your utilization.

Capital One Platinum $3500 || Quicksilver One $2500 || GM Buypower $500 || PayPal Extra MC $300 || Walmart
$850|| Victoria Secret $3150 || Gettington
$4500|| Kohl's
$700|| Fullbeauty $650
EQ 631 TU 666 EX 671 Goal: 700 across the board
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had it since March and there is no balance on it.

Thanks for the input.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you don't need it any longer, it has served its purpose.  Close it.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the positive tradeline boost my score? Will my rebuild slow down with one less CC?
Message 5 of 10
CreditScoreChallenged
New Contributor

The affect would depend on your utilization of your other cards. Without the Opensky you would still have a good number of credit cards. 3 cards is the recommendation.

Capital One Platinum $3500 || Quicksilver One $2500 || GM Buypower $500 || PayPal Extra MC $300 || Walmart
$850|| Victoria Secret $3150 || Gettington
$4500|| Kohl's
$700|| Fullbeauty $650
EQ 631 TU 666 EX 671 Goal: 700 across the board
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep my utilization at under 10% on only one card. I make sure the others report a zero balance every month.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Close it. It has served its purpose, and there is no valid reason to keep it open longer.

Message 8 of 10
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

Curious if you closed OpenSky, and if so, what happened? Did you run into any trouble? Did you get your deposit back in a timely fashion? I need to close mine soon, and wondering if you had any issues.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did close the open sky. No problems whatsoever, no score drop. In fact, my Discover went to unsecured in December and in February they tripled my CL. The deposit was returned within a couple weeks . I would undoubtably suggest you close your open sky so long as you still have three other cards reporting.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.