Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenSky Vs. First Progress Secured Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OpenSky Vs. First Progress Secured Cards

Hello All, I first just want to give a quick thanks to everyone here for their advice. In less than a month, I've been able to pull my TU score up to 601 and my EQ to 559, just by opening a secured card, fingerhut, and getting added on as an additional on a family members account. But I have a dilemma and need some help deciding. So I read for maximum point gain, if you're starting with a secured card, you'll want to have about 2-3 to get the best effect. So I have my OpenSky, and it's reporting, and all is well. However, I applied for the First Progress Platinum card, paid for the expedited processing and the options to fund later, got the card and I selected a $300 line. They're just waiting for me to fund the deposit. Now, My dilemma, I've since ran into a bunch of reviews about the First Progress that aren't sounding too good, and I was wondering what do you guys think I should do, apply the $300 limit to the card and hope for the best, or try to add the funds to my $500 limit OpenSky card, and just let the First Progress go already. Thanks everyone!!!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OpenSky Vs. First Progress Secured Cards

Have you tried Discover It Secured or Capital One Secured?  

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes try the discover or cap1 I was approved for both with scores less then youes and a ton of collections.
Don't put anymore money into the open sky.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried Discover It Secured or Capital One Secured?  

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes try the discover or cap1 I was approved for both with scores less then youes and a ton of collections.
Don't put anymore money into the open sky.
The only thing about both of those, I have baddies with both of them. I had a capital one card (forgot which one) and a Discover IT Student card. Both Charged-off. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One is pretty forgiving.  I had a charge off with them from 2014 when I got my secured card with them in March.  Not sure about Discover though.  

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One is pretty forgiving.  I had a charge off with them from 2014 when I got my secured card with them in March.  Not sure about Discover though.  

The charge off is only $550, so I'll look at getting it paid off, then I'll try to apply! Thank you so much for the advice!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CO charge off was unpaid at the time that I got approved.  Have you tried the prequalify for CO?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have! It always comes back with no offers!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The charge off is only $550, so I'll look at getting it paid off, then I'll try to apply! Thank you so much for the advice!

How old is the CO? It must be over 12 months old to qualify for a new account.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How old is the CO? It must be over 12 months old to qualify for a new account.

Is this a rule of thumb in general for accounts, or just Capital One? The Discover card was first charged off in April of last year, and the Capital One was in July of last year.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.