Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Old Accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opening Old Accounts?

Would it be possible to open an old credit card account that had been closed for a while?  Would it help my credit since I originally opened the account in 2001 and it is the oldest account on my report?  It is a Capital One account.  Has anyone had experience with that?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Mommyto2boys
Contributor

Re: Opening Old Accounts?

Hi, I just did the same thing with my Bank of America cc. I would specifically ask them up front if the history remains when reopening the account. BOA said yes and the age is older than my AAofA; so I am hoping it helps. It will also help with the CL increase assuming no recent baddies are tied to it. I guess we will figure this one out together. Keep me updated! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called Capital One and they stated they will not open old accounts period.  I wonder if there is another way to go about doing that.  Writing to them? Or speaking to a different person?  Smiley Sad 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you request account "re-opening," you will, at the least, probably get a hard pull of your credit report.

It is my experience that most creditors will consider it a new account, and not fold prior credit history into the account.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.