Established Member
MePlusThree

Opening new credit to help score

My wife and I would like to buy a house in October so we're working on our credit. She just pointed out to me that after one of my credit cards was closed due to inactivity (right after I requested a new card so I could use it.) that I have no credit cards of my own. I have what appears as a 'conventional mortgage' on my CR (but is really a land contract) and I'm on a joint line of credit with her. That that is the only credit I actually own. I am listed as a AU on 3 of her accounts however. Would applying for new credit right now allow enough time for it to 'age' and help me in October? My biggest 'credit issue' is a bunch of deliquencies from 3 years ago when I hit a hard spot.

FAKOS: TU 663 EX 668 EQ 685
guiness56

Re: Opening new credit to help score

Getting something now would put it very close.  You shouldn't apply for new credit 6 months out from applying for a mortgatge.

Many lenders won't use the AU accounts, they want to see your real score.

What are the delinquencies?  Lates?  Collections?

Established Member
MePlusThree

Lates. They're all about 3 years old. Mostly 30 days, one or two 90 days.

FAKOS: TU 663 EX 668 EQ 685
guiness56

I would start sending out GWs for the lates.  Make it clear in the GW letter, it is NOT a dispute, otherwise it may end up on your CR as such.

Regular Contributor
igids1

I think you should first find out what your credit scores are. If they are even close to a mortgage limit, I would apply today.I would get at least 2-3 cards. You need credit, to build credit. An authorized user account with your wife should not be an issue. If it was with a friend, that would be a problem. I got a credit card less than 2 months before applying for a mortgage, and was never even asked about it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+