Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions/Advice wanted for scenario with Credit One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opinions/Advice wanted for scenario with Credit One

Hello everyone, 

I'm going to start from the beginning of my current situation because it will help me paint the whole picture. So here it is:

I dont have a very good credit raiting, and havent for quite some time. But I had taken steps to reverse the situation and had finally gotten to where I was just on the fringe of being "average". One of the steps I took to improving my credit one opening an account with Credit One Bank. I dont have any particular problems with Credit One, and have generally never used their card. My account with them does however carry a monthly 6 dollar fee. Which is fair and I have no complaints about. However, a few months ago I managed to forget about this 6 dollar fee, and missed the payment. Now I know the easy way to deal with this would have been to set up an automatic payment, and I dont really have an excuse for not having done so other than I just didnt. So I missed the payment, and Credit One didnt connect with me on the phone until something like 3-4 days after they had reported to the credit agencies. Naturally, I was immediately upset, but as soon as they told me I gladly agreed to pay the now 25 dollar (late fee) balance of the account. I questioned them about the reporting and the of course said that there was nothing they could do other than waive the late fees. So I accepted this, hoping that it would somehow save me.

Unfortunatley it didnt, and my credit score took the 20 something point shot. So now I am confused on what exactly my next steps should be. Was it actually ever sent to a collection agency? I paid Credit One directly and they waived the fees, so my thought is no. Is it just the reporting factor that I should seek to have adjusted by way of a goodwill letter? This all seems so trivial for what began as a $6 monthly fee and my fear is that they wont adjust it because I just flat out forgot about it. 

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions you all can offer!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opinions/Advice wanted for scenario with Credit One

It did not go to collections, and the reason for the drop is the reporting of the late payment. You are correct that attempting a goodwill letter is your only option at this point, over time the point drop will go away as the late payment gets older.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opinions/Advice wanted for scenario with Credit One

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I'm going to start from the beginning of my current situation because it will help me paint the whole picture. So here it is:

I dont have a very good credit raiting, and havent for quite some time. But I had taken steps to reverse the situation and had finally gotten to where I was just on the fringe of being "average". One of the steps I took to improving my credit one opening an account with Credit One Bank. I dont have any particular problems with Credit One, and have generally never used their card. My account with them does however carry a monthly 6 dollar fee. Which is fair and I have no complaints about. However, a few months ago I managed to forget about this 6 dollar fee, and missed the payment. Now I know the easy way to deal with this would have been to set up an automatic payment, and I dont really have an excuse for not having done so other than I just didnt. So I missed the payment, and Credit One didnt connect with me on the phone until something like 3-4 days after they had reported to the credit agencies. Naturally, I was immediately upset, but as soon as they told me I gladly agreed to pay the now 25 dollar (late fee) balance of the account. I questioned them about the reporting and the of course said that there was nothing they could do other than waive the late fees. So I accepted this, hoping that it would somehow save me.

Unfortunatley it didnt, and my credit score took the 20 something point shot. So now I am confused on what exactly my next steps should be. Was it actually ever sent to a collection agency? I paid Credit One directly and they waived the fees, so my thought is no. Is it just the reporting factor that I should seek to have adjusted by way of a goodwill letter? This all seems so trivial for what began as a $6 monthly fee and my fear is that they wont adjust it because I just flat out forgot about it. 

Thanks in advance for any help or opinions you all can offer!

You should. They are nothing more than leeches sucking money from you simply because you have low scores. Close it and open a no annual fee Platinum Cap One account, if you get turned down by them open an account with SDFCU, and get their secured card.

There is no need to use the vulture lenders to rebuild.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.