cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on the CapitalOne Secured Mastercard?

tag
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Re: Opinions on the CapitalOne Secured Mastercard?

The reason I chose cap 1 is because they are a well known company, low annual fee, ease of the app for android, and credit inform. I knew going into it that it wasn't going to become unsecured so after 6 months or so and some more cleaning up of my report that I would try to apply for the cap 1 rewards card and if denied I would get a second secured card thru my bank which is Wells Fargo. I've seen other secured cards and other really horrible sub prime cards and I thought my best move was cap 1. My question is what types of cards do u app for app 6 months of using the cap1 secured card, cleaning a couple things on my report and finally registering a FIFO score?
Message 11 of 16
goldenyears
New Contributor

I have had a terrific experience with the Cap One secured.  

After a three months with the secured card, they gave me a limit increase without additonal deposit.  After only six months, they approved me for a rewards card with a $2500 limit/one year 0%.  During this time nothing much changed on my credit report except time passed and I had established a record with CapOne- using and paying regularly on a credit card from them carries a lot of weight with them.  I think that is an advantage, if you anticipate a long period of time to get all the baddies off your CR.  I agree it is diappointing that their secured cards don't graduate, but I'm not a frequent app'er in the best of times, so one HP is a non-issue for me.

These cards have made a huge impact on my credit scores (+100 pts) and credit worthiness in the past year and only cost me 2 hard pulls - that's a good deal in my book.  Of course, YMMV as my biggest issue scorewise is I had gone 'off the grid" for years and having any current credit lines open had a bigger impact on my score.

Starting Score: 523 TU: 3/15/2012
Current Score: 732 EQ 09/03/2014
Next Goal Score: steady 750 by Jan 2017

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 16
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Did u have any other cards or other trade lines before u applied for the cap1 rewards card after the six months? The reason I'm asking is because I don't have any other cards and I was gonna let my cap1 secured age for six months and then apply for the rewards card.
Message 13 of 16
goldenyears
New Contributor

Hub,  

I had opened the CapOne secured and an Open Sky secured (both @ $500 level) at the same time. I did also end up having to get a car loan during this same time period in an unplanned emergency situation. Despite a 523 score and several collections and charge offs in my history was given a loan through CarMax, which shocked me.  I don't know if that trade line was much of a factor for CapOne, since there was little payment history and the added new debt likely counter balanced that.

I used my CapOne secured a lot, paying in full every month before the billing cycle, which I like to think made them feel comfortable that I could manage my credit.  The Open Sky I may have used a couple times for very small purchases, just to have activity and the open trade line.   I don't really like this card or their site/service, but I wasn't in a position to be picky and it served it's purpose of giving me some recent history and helping my utilization while I paid off collections and old debts.

When I was in your position I aimed for 2-3 secured lines (though I ended up with a car loan instead of a third), my thinking was that another card might be helpful in moving to unsecured - as in balancing more than one credit line is more indicative of spending discipline.

Starting Score: 523 TU: 3/15/2012
Current Score: 732 EQ 09/03/2014
Next Goal Score: steady 750 by Jan 2017

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 16
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I use my cap 1 card too a lot but carry a very low balance 2-3 $ to keep them happy that they are getting a little $ off me. My plan was to with a Wells Fargo secured since I bank with them. I have a separate savings account to save $ for the deposit. I would really like to stick with big banks for my cards cause I don't wanna pay for a lot of fees other cards come with. Cap 1 is my first card in a long time and I don't even have a score so I'm starting real slow. Still have 2 small judgements on my record that I'm working on also.
Message 15 of 16
diztrukted
Valued Member

I don't mind that this card won't graduate to an unsecured card, tbh. The fact that I can get a card is good for me since this is primarily for rebuilding only. The fact there's an android app that works well is a bonus for me and I figured since I have a capone360 account already it shouldn't be an issue getting the capone secured mastercard. 

My other issue is that, prior to applying, a few years ago I had switched banks (Citizens Bank to BoA) then I found out about other banks/credit unions that I wanted to apply to since I hated the fees these major banks have. Because I, abruptly, left citizens...I had a balance that has never been paid and that has been an obstacle in applying for account at other credit unions/banks. Since I had (what was then, ING) before all this happened, my account has been in good standing and since the merger I had hoped it meant I'd be in good standing with CapOne since it now meant that I'm a current  customer. 

I plan to rebuild to for the next 8-10mo. but I'm not sure what the "rules" are to staying in good standing. The last time I had a credit card I thought that paying your balance in full as long as it was under your line of credit was considered being a good customer. In just a year my credit line decreased dramatically (Gap Card) to the point where I didn't want to deal with it anymore and I just closed it.

If my score increases to the 600 range I may apply for another secured card, one that graduates to an unsecured card but right now I "think" that this may be the best choice for me to get started.

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: 627
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.