Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options For Almost Worst Score

tag
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

Re: Options For Almost Worst Score

The key thing is to know that things do not change over night.  You''re going to have to grind it out and change the negative self inflicting financial behaviors of the past.  Self-pity and other destructive feelings will only make your road to success that much tougher. This is a process in which you have taken the first step.  Good luck.

Message 21 of 40
joeyjazz

Sorry, self-pity and pity parties are not even close to what I'm doing. I am asking for help, asking what is the best thing I can do for myself. I am being proactive. Being fairly new to having to pay my own bills, I'm more inexperienced than anything. I've done some research, looked into FAFSA, I don't qualify, my mom won't help with school because apparently cell phone service is more important than a good education (my mom has priority issues) and my dad's dead so no money from there. I've called Wells Fargo (my smaller credit debt is with them) and they refused to help me. Twice. I've looked into programs for low income, but apparently people who can afford to buy "bling" can't afford food but I can't get any assistance because I'm actually trying instead of being homeless and having a bunch of unwanted kids just to get in welfare.

I know I asked you guys for advice and I seem like I'm getting mad at you guys, but I'm just frustrated with the situation. I have looked into a lot of options, and I don't qualify for most if not all. Coming here I was trying to find something I hadn't seen before.
Message 22 of 40
qd
Regular Contributor

@joeyjazz wrote:
Sorry, self-pity and pity parties are not even close to what I'm doing. I am asking for help, asking what is the best thing I can do for myself. I am being proactive. Being fairly new to having to pay my own bills, I'm more inexperienced than anything. I've done some research, looked into FAFSA, I don't qualify, my mom won't help with school because apparently cell phone service is more important than a good education (my mom has priority issues) and my dad's dead so no money from there. I've called Wells Fargo (my smaller credit debt is with them) and they refused to help me. Twice. I've looked into programs for low income, but apparently people who can afford to buy "bling" can't afford food but I can't get any assistance because I'm actually trying instead of being homeless and having a bunch of unwanted kids just to get in welfare.

I know I asked you guys for advice and I seem like I'm getting mad at you guys, but I'm just frustrated with the situation. I have looked into a lot of options, and I don't qualify for most if not all. Coming here I was trying to find something I hadn't seen before.

When I was young and just married and broke like you wouldn't believe, I always hated that I couldn't get any goverment assistance because I was working and my wife was going to college.  We struggled every day to pay the bills while I knew people that simply quit their jobs or worked as little as possible so that they would qualify for assistance.  The thing that helped me the most was watching every dime I spent and working as many extra hours as I could.  Like someone posted already...bring more money in and less money out.  I don't have any answers for you, but do feel your pain...you have any friends or family you could move in with for a while?  My sister and her husband moved in with me for a while so they could save on rent until they got caught up on things. 

Message 23 of 40
LLMT
Regular Contributor

Why don't each of you get a 2nd job of some sort?  It doesn't have to be traditional job, if they are hard to come by in your area. Walk dogs, mow lawns, run errands for old people. Sell stuff on FB or craigslist. Work as much as you can and throw all that money at your debt, then quit the 2nd job when you are all paid up. I don't really see a huge problem for you. You only owe approx $5k and you don't really need to worry about your credit score at the moment since you are in no position to take on additional debt. I agree with the other poster's to minimize your expenses and then just throw every penny you can from current job and side work at your debt. Good luck!

Message 24 of 40
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Fill out the FAFSA not sure what you are saying by looked into it. If you fill it out you can can get student loans may not sound like a great idea to take on more debt but it would be an investment in your future. I had no help with school did it all with loans. You can get a degree online if there is not a school that is affordable or close to your area some offer work study programs also.

Message 25 of 40
dzemboc77
Established Member

Sounds like my ealry 20's. Keep your head up it gets better. I was in a similar situation which I am still paying for and using this forum to help me rebuild my credit so I can buy a house. I was living pay check to paycheck, had a $3k limit CC maxed out pretty mush all the time. Family of 4. For me It was a budgeting issue. I would spend my money on stuff I didn't need, or could have lived with out and eventually between payments,bills ect it caught up and Ifinally woke up 1 day and said I can't do it anymore. I picked a few accounts to default on, stopped paying on them, went to school, was working for a family member doing contracting/plumbing & heating. Now I'm a Network Engineer making double what I made then. My schooling was certification based and took me maybe 3 months before I got a intern job at $15 an hour. Since then I really didn't worry about my credit score. It sucked and I'm sure I paid 10X more then I should have over the years not having good credit but thats a price I paided. In the long term I will probably make 3x what I would if I stayed working as a contractor. If your not looking to purchase anything big then credit is somewhat worthless. IF you can't feed your family or pay the electric what is a credit score ???? Ps I owe my Rents about $7k which they told me I don't have to pay back but I am going to start in the fall. It takes time to rebuild your credit and get things back on coarse. For me I had $0 credit this time last year. Now I have almost $4k. My credit score went from 530 TU to 624 currently in the past year. 20 more points and I meet the requirments for our home which was my goal. I think I will achieve it probably this time next year or next fall. This is my personal advice but credit takes time to build/rebuild. It takes time to get back up overall and will take some hardwork and dedication. Look into goverment assistance programs if you have not already done so. Last set some goal, it will give you something to look foward to and work towards.

Message 26 of 40
kjel
Established Contributor

You don't look into FAFSA, you actually have to fill it out in its entirety using the information from your latest tax return.

Financial aid is a complex beast, it's dependent on a lot of variables. You WILL qualify for some combination of a Pell Grant and Stafford Loans just going by your earlier posts. If you live on your own and your parents don't claim you on their tax returns you are considered an "independent" student and qualify for MORE aid. If you are confused or don't understand, please go visit the local community college's financial aid department. They will help you fill out the FAFSA application and explain what you qualify for.

I know you are mad at the situation. It's ok. You have to start somewhere. Pick a creditor, call them, say "Look I owe you $1,000. I only can pay $20 a month right now." Very few will tell you no. I had one that would refuse to make a payment arrangement and I just started sending them $20/month for three months, called again and they now talk to me. Someone on the other end of the phone will talk to you and work with you, many of us have had to call repeatedly to get anywhere.

It gets better, but you have to listen to what is being said. There's a lot of people on these forums that have had or have situations much worse than yours and would gladly exchange places with you. None of this is easy and you will get out of it what exactly you put into it.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 27 of 40
sjt
Senior Contributor

@joeyjazz wrote:

Hi everybody, I'm kinda new here, not to mention new to the whole credit thing.

So that's where I went wrong, I had no idea what I was doing and now I'm over $5,000 in debt. I'm trying to pay it off, but me and my fiance have crappy, minimum wage jobs and can barely afford any other bills. Our power went out last week and I had to call my mom to pay the overdue bill for us so we could have power. That was fun. She's also paid our phone bill (also overdue). I also was unemployed for four months and just recently got a job. You get the idea, bad financial situation.

I'm looking into options. I'm young, scared, inexperienced, and completely overwhelmed.

I have no idea what options I even have and have no idea who to ask. I've done some research on bankruptcy, secured cards, and credit counseling, but all have consequences in one way or another. Is one better than the others for my situation? Any recommendations? Any help? Anything?

My score (I think it's FICO, but I can't remember and don't have the report available atm) is 433. I've done enough research to know I'm kinda screwed. I know there's hope, but I don't know where to find it. I'm literally losing sleep over this, guys... tears, frustration, stress, depression, and arguments have all been involved in me and my fiancé's dilemma.

So yeah.

Hi

You are not alone, I have been in your situation when I was in my 20's, the only difference was that my debt was much larger.

I look back know and realize my situation was the best thing that ever happened to me because I was forced to face my financial situation and make changes. Im glad it happened in my 20s and not later in life.

I want to commend you for facing your situation and doing research and coming on to this board for help. I also want to remind you that your lucky to have a job regardless of the pay.

Question for you:

What is the status of your credit card debts, are they in collection or have you been making payments? Have you spoke with the credit card companies regarding a reduction of interest rate or a payment plan?

Have you contacted a non profit consumer credit counseling agency regarding a debt management plan?

Have you and your fiance done a comprehensive budget?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 28 of 40
bmblbg
Regular Contributor

First of all- I'm so sorry for the situation you are in.  It is rough, and often even "small" debt can feel overwhelming.  I remember having about $3500 worth of debt and thinking it may as well be a million because I can't even come up with that. 

But- things have improved for me, and I know that they will for you also.

So- let's look at the situation.  If you have applied for FAFSA and they've turned you down, I'd speak with a financial aid advisor and find out why.  Most financial aid- with the exception of private corporations- goes through FAFSA.   I am a single parent of 2 and make approx $35k annually, and I qualify for full financial aid. Since I'm in Grad school, most of it is loans (eww!!) but for an associates or bachelors degree there are often many grants available.  Also- look outside of FAFSA.  Many scholarships are available to be found online, but they require a bit of time to research and then write any essays/etc they may ask for. 

I don't think you mentioned how old you are.  The FAFSA asks for your parents' information and that may be why you don't qualify for certain things.  However, since you are engaged and living independently, you should be listing yourself as such and therefore nnot required to list your mother's income.  That may make all the difference if this is something that you're currently overlooking. 

Another idea may be to look at what your employer offers.  Some companies- even fast food companies- offer tuition assistance.  With this there will most certainly be a period of time you'll "owe" the company after, but may be beneficial.  For instance, I work for the government, and for every X amount of credit hours they pay for I "owe" them one year of service.  Since I plan on retiring from this place, I'm cool with that. Smiley Happy 

Outside of the financial aid issue, have you looked into some sort of debt consolidation?  I don't know much about these programs, because all I've ever consolidated were student loans through the USDOE, but they may be worth a look.  Find a FREE one, of course.

I don't know what it is you currently do for a living- of it's something where you can pick up extra shifts or what the case may be, but if that is an option I'd strongly suggest looking into that. 

Are you a member of any organization?  My best friend's church, for instance, paid part of her college tuition.  With a combination of them and federal grants, she actually graduated with her Bachelor's degree debt free!! WOW!  But these organizations- for active members- sometimes offer other sorts of financial assistance such as utility assistance and even free financial counseling.  This may be something to look into.

I know that nobody wants to get on welfare, but have you talked to your local income support service about other services? Sometimes we don't qualify for food stamps but may qualify for energy assistance or a one-time emergency assistance program when things get really rough.

How about doing some yard work or babysitting or something like that for family/friends/neighbors? 

Is everything on your report valid? 

My take on Wells Fargo not being willing to help is- try again.  If someone says no, ask to talk to their supervisor.  The worst they can say is no.  Be calm and explain the trouble you're in- how you're feeling very under water right now- and ask for help.  Go in person and work your way through the ranks if you have to.  Sometimes they're more wiling to set up a payment plan if you have a bank account with them and can set up automatic payments or something. 

Do you think your mother would be willing to add you as an authorized user on her accounts to help you build your score?  Do you think she'd be willing to help you pay the cards and you in-turn set up payment arrangements with her?

I don't think that getting a secured card would be the best thing for you right now, honestly.  It would be too tempting to put the next large bill or grocery trip on the card, and then the debt will continue to mount. 

Get started on GW letters iif the accounts are charged off, and if they are current, I'd work on contacting the creditors and hashing out a plan with them.

It's not going to be easy- but it is possible to come back from this score.  Sit down with your fiance and see what you guys can cut out of your lives- any little luxury, at least temporarily.  Then write down all your monthly bills and determine what your actual monthly payments are.  Set a schedule and stick to it.  Don't shop until all the essentials have been paid.  If there is extra, it may be worth it to at least set up a savings account if you are concerned about going straight for the IRA.  What I did when I was having trouble financially was set a joint bank account with my sister- who is a financial whiz- and set a requirement that the account needed both of our signatures for a withdrawal.  This way- I had to justify the emergency to her if I ever wanted to pull money out.  It helped me save a ton, because those "real emergencies" never came up.  Perhaps this is something you could look into with your mother as the joint, for example. 

I don't know your situation completely, so many of these suggestions may not work for you at all!! But, I hope at least one or two will. 

Please keep us posted on how this process goes. 

And most importantly, no matter how bad this may seem or how overwhelmed you may feel, don't give up!! Smiley Happy

Mortgage Scores:
11/26/2018 EQ: 542 EX: 610 TU: 548
8/30/2018 EQ: 571 EX: 504 TU: 533
7/30/2018: EQ: 598 EX: 591 TU: 608
4/5/2018 EQ: 543 EX: 522 TU: 467
Message 29 of 40
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Where are you located geographically if you don't mind sharing?

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.