Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options to remove a collection?

tag
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Options to remove a collection?

There's no reason the OC can't ask a current contractor to remove reporting - the CA wants to maintain a good relationship with what is essentially their client.  While they don't have the obligation to do so, they do have some incentive to do so if requested by their client, namely future business.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The OC cannot delete reporting made by other parties, and the OC cannot "recall" any prior, accurate reporting made by the debt collector.  Sending anyone proof of payment to anyone wont require any CR deletions.

Recourse is by way of a GW request for deletion.

Once the debt collector gets notice of payment of the debt, then validation of any DV will be both possible and simple. "We validate that the current debt is $0."

Really? So all the talk on all the forums about OC's being able to recall an account from the collection agency is nonsense? Because I have had three accounts do exactly what you are saying they are unable to do.. So the guess is they were just doing this because of the relationship with their collection agency and no legal reason?

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rckstrscott wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

The OC cannot delete reporting made by other parties, and the OC cannot "recall" any prior, accurate reporting made by the debt collector.  Sending anyone proof of payment to anyone wont require any CR deletions.

Once the debt collector gets notice of payment of the debt, then validation of any DV will be both possible and simple. "We validate that the current debt is $0."

Really? So all the talk on all the forums about OC's being able to recall an account from the collection agency is nonsense? Because I have had three accounts do exactly what you are saying they are unable to do.. So the guess is they were just doing this because of the relationship with their collection agency and no legal reason?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Obviously I'm missing something.  I also thought that once the OC recalls the account from the CA that the CA, since they are no longer responsible for collecting the debt, would then delete their tradeline.  If not, what is the advantage of asking the OC to recall the debt?

Message 13 of 19
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

The OC can "recall" the debt and they can even request that the CA delete the tradeline, which the CA will usually do because once the debt is paid, the CA has no incentive to keep reporting it and since the OC is their client, they typically follow their instructions.

However, what previous posters are saying is that the OC cannot actually delete the CA's reporting. The OC couldn't called up EX, EQ or TU and say, "hey, delete this collection account, I'm the OC" because they have no authority to change the reporting by another entity. The only way to actually get the collection TL off your report is for the CA to do it.

If the CA wants to be jerks, they technically can continue reporting the collection with a $0 balance because the collection account did exist so as long as the balance is accurate, they are allowed to continue reporting if they chose to. This is common, unfortunately. However, CAs will usually delete if instructed by the OC.

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 14 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't always happen, but I've also seen a few examples on here of a CA deleting after the OC requested they do so.

Message 15 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

So just for clarification, If I sent them a DV, they can just validate the debt as $0?  I paid the OC, but they can still legally report the debt because at one point they were assigned it?

Message 16 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@rckstrscott wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

It's not nonsense at all and don't let anyone tell you it is. There may not be any "legalities" involved in the process but you are witness that it can and does happen exactly that way and that's all that matters.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 17 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:
It's not nonsense at all and don't let anyone tell you it is. There may not be any "legalities" involved in the process but you are witness that it can and does happen exactly that way and that's all that matters.

Yeah. I agree. I have had success doing this so I know it works -- I guess what I was trying to find out infact was explained, and that is legally they don't have to stop reporting so I think I just need to try some letters and see what happens. Although it is showing a balance after 3 months, so I guess I could dispute the balance part and the worst thing that will happen is they will update the balance to current. -- I am am pretty sure the CA would be cheesed that I went through the OC, especially if it negates their cut of the account and might not be friendly towards a GW letter.

Message 18 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

You've already paid this debt, so I don't see how a DV is going to help you. Plus, from what I've been reading about DV, the CAs don't need to validate, nor do they need to remove from our CR. This doesn't seem right or fair to me, but this is what people have posted on the forum.

Since the OC is cooperative, you might try asking them for a letter stating that they have requested that the CA remove the item from your CR and showing that your balance is zero, and mailing (or faxing?) that to the CA with a request that they remove it from your CR. I understand that there may not be a legal precedent for the OC to remove an item placed by the CA, but if the CA works for the OC, and the OC tells them do something, it seems like the CA ought to do what they are being told to do by the people who are paying them.Smiley Happy

I'm not an expert... just an idea to consider.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.