Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oral Contract For Utility?

tag
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Oral Contract For Utility?

I have a $800 owed for a utility account that ballooned out of control since 2011. I called in to the city I use to live in to start and stop service for the account. Does this make it an oral contract which will be past the 3 year SOL since I live in Washington state? The account is with a collection company that I have made payments to for tickets, will that mess up my SOL too? What should I do?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Oral Contract For Utility?

If you didn't sign any agreements, whether in person when they set it up or online, and for sure they can't produce any sort of agreement, then it would be oral. YMMV on the state, but I'd check to see if there's a specific SOL for utilities.

In some states, making a payment on a debt can reset SOL. Definitely check with Washington's laws.

Message 2 of 5
phix
New Contributor

Did you setup/schedule service over the phone? If you signed up online you may have technically signed an electronic agreement, which is equal to a written agreement in most states.

FingerHut - $2,300 | Nordstrom Retail - $500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne - $500 | Credit One Bank Platinum - $450 | Victoria's Secret - $250

Current Scores: TU: 573, EX: 512, EQ: 584 (MPM Scores)
Message 3 of 5
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

I know I set up service over the phone. I lived in a small city at the time and they didnt/don't even have access to pay your bill online; only in person or over the phone...

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Actions limited to three years. 

The following actions shall be commenced within three years:

(1) An action for waste or trespass upon real property;

(2) An action for taking, detaining, or injuring personal property, including an action for the specific recovery thereof, or for any other injury to the person or rights of another not hereinafter enumerated;

(3) Except as provided in RCW 4.16.040(2), an action upon a contract or liability, express or implied, which is not in writing, and does not arise out of any written instrument;

(4) An action for relief upon the ground of fraud, the cause of action in such case not to be deemed to have accrued until the discovery by the aggrieved party of the facts constituting the fraud;

(5) An action against a sheriff, coroner, or constable upon a liability incurred by the doing of an act in his or her official capacity and by virtue of his or her office, or by the omission of an official duty, including the nonpayment of money collected upon an execution; but this subsection shall not apply to action for an escape;

(6) An action against an officer charged with misappropriation or a failure to properly account for public funds intrusted to his or her custody; an action upon a statute for penalty or forfeiture, where an action is given to the party aggrieved, or to such party and the state, except when the statute imposing it prescribed a different limitation: PROVIDED, HOWEVER, The cause of action for such misappropriation, penalty, or forfeiture, whether for acts heretofore or hereafter done, and regardless of lapse of time or existing statutes of limitations, or the bar thereof, even though complete, shall not be deemed to accrue or to have accrued until discovery by the aggrieved party of the act or acts from which such liability has arisen or shall arise, and such liability, whether for acts heretofore or hereafter done, and regardless of lapse of time or existing statute of limitation, or the bar thereof, even though complete, shall exist and be enforceable for three years after discovery by aggrieved party of the act or acts from which such liability has arisen or shall arise.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.