cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orginal creditor reports as sold, but debt purchaser isn't on my credit report.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orginal creditor reports as sold, but debt purchaser isn't on my credit report.

I have an account listed on my credit report from Bank of America. It is for a debt of $682. It is listed under my closed accounts. The account status is 'Collection' and the comments are "LAST REPORTED DELINQUENCIES: 11/2011=R9,10/2011=R5,09/2011=R5 CHARGED OFF ACCOUNT ACCOUNT TRANSFERRED OR SOLD".

I contacted BoA to attempt to settle with a PFD, but they stated they do not own the account anymore. It has been sold to Square 2 Financial, but Square 2 Financial is not listed on my credit report. 

My question, would it help my credit to settle with Square 2? Will that change the status of my BoA entry? The BoA rep said they would be notified by Square 2 if I paid and would change their status to 'paid in full', does this sound correct? 

BoA sold the account in 2013, so I've got quite a while until it's not longer listed.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Orginal creditor reports as sold, but debt purchaser isn't on my credit report.

It would definitely be beneficial to contact Square 2 and settle the debt before they report is as a collection. If you don't you risk getting two black marks against you for this debt.

Message 2 of 4
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Orginal creditor reports as sold, but debt purchaser isn't on my credit report.

Is BoA listing the amount owed as $0? If they sold it they are required to update it to that as well. As NormanFH said contact them ASAP if they aren't reporting, otherwise you run the risk of having a double entry. One for OC and one for CA.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I will contact them today.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.