Regular Contributor
randaljon

Original Creditor Charge-off responds to 623 method letter...

I couple weeks ago I sent Credit One bank a 623 method letter asking for an investigation into whether the account they are reporting to the CRAs does indeed belong to me. I  told them that I could be a victim of identy theft or I am being confused with my father who shares my same name. I asked for an investigation and proof the account belongs to me via Original signed agrreement/application and payment history.

I got a letter from them today, telling me the ownership of the account has been transferred to a CA and I should contact the CA in the future.

They did not answer any of my requests yet they are still reporting the account to the CRAs.

What should my next step be?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
guiness56

Re: Original Creditor Charge-off responds to 623 method letter...

I would write them again that you dispute and why.  The fact that they sold the debt doesn't mean anything.  They are the ones reporting and the ones who sold it to a CA.

According to the FCRA, they have to investigate.

You can also file a complaint with the BBB, FTC and your states AG. 

Established Member
jogo4life

+1

I would absolutely escalate this issue to BBB and AG if OC digs in their heels.

Starting Score: 536
Current Score: 514
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

arrington

Can I do the same thing if the original creditor sent me a letter stating the same thing after I sent out a DV letter?

guiness56

arrington wrote:

Can I do the same thing if the original creditor sent me a letter stating the same thing after I sent out a DV letter?

You can't send a DV to the OC, they are for CAs.  In that instance, they were correct in what they wrote.

You can send them a direct disputer per FCRA 623 which they must answer.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+