Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Creditor VS CRA

tag
Washin17
Regular Contributor

Original Creditor VS CRA

I'm really getting confused on how some of these things work!  I have a couple collections that I originally thought was with the original creditor but now I'm finding out they are with collection agencies!

Should I send a pay for delete letter to the original creditor even though they don't have the account?

Or do i call the original creditor and just pay them without sending them the letter? 

If I pay the orginal creditor and the cra is reporting does that automatically mean they have to remove it?

Or should I just start by disputing everything just to see if some things fall off?

Starting Score: 530EQ, 531TU, 514EX (0/2016)
Current Score: 686EQ, 710TU, 686EX (03/2017)
Goal Score: 750+ (01/2018)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Original Creditor VS CRA

@kdnicholer wrote:

I'm really getting confused on how some of these things work!  I have a couple collections that I originally thought was with the original creditor but now I'm finding out they are with collection agencies!

Should I send a pay for delete letter to the original creditor even though they don't have the account? If the CRA is reporting on your report (s)  send them the PFD. 

Or do i call the original creditor and just pay them without sending them the letter? This would depend on who is reporting. If the OC is reporting you can speak with them and ask to have them pull the account back after you pay them.

If I pay the orginal creditor and the cra is reporting does that automatically mean they have to remove it? Don't want to give the wrong answer on this one.

Or should I just start by disputing everything just to see if some things fall off? DO NOT DO THIS!! Only dispute if infonis wrong, i.e. amouht reporting, account number, etc.

Message 2 of 6
Washin17
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply.  Its get very confusing on here because some people just say to dispute it if its old and see if it comes off

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdnicholer wrote:

Should I send a pay for delete letter to the original creditor even though they don't have the account? If the CRA is reporting on your report (s)  send them the PFD. 

Or do i call the original creditor and just pay them without sending them the letter? This would depend on who is reporting. If the OC is reporting you can speak with them and ask to have them pull the account back after you pay them.

If I pay the orginal creditor and the cra is reporting does that automatically mean they have to remove it? Don't want to give the wrong answer on this one.

Or should I just start by disputing everything just to see if some things fall off? DO NOT DO THIS!! Only dispute if infonis wrong, i.e. amouht reporting, account number, etc.

If the CA owns the debt you will have ZERO probability of even getting the OC to accept payment. If the CA is working on behalf of the the OC but does not own the debt the CA does not have to remove if you pay the OC. They do have to update it to ZERO. The only way of getting the CA to stop reporting is if the OC has not sold the debt and grants your request and has it called back to them and the OC asks the CA to delete. Then you have to deal with the OC GW deleting.

Message 4 of 6
Washin17
Regular Contributor

What would be my best move to try to get them deleted since they are all with the cra?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Send your PFD offer to the debt collector.

They are the party whose reporting you wish to have deleted.

If they agree, you have a binding oral contract.

If the debt collector will not accept a PFD, the around-the-barn option, IF the credtior still owns the debt, is to first get the creditor to agree to terminate their assigned collection authoriyt to the debt collector.  If they do so, then you can pay the OC, and the CRA policy will then require deletion of the collection based on their lack of collectin authority

Howver, if you simply pay the OC while the debt collector still has assigned collection authority, CRA policy instructs the debt collector NOT to delete.

Thus, you must convince the OC to terminate their business with the debt collector before you pay the debt.

PFD directly to the debt collector is thus the direct path.......

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.