cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Creditor and Collection Agency pointing the finger at each other ?

tag
Vcanady7

Original Creditor and Collection Agency pointing the finger at each other ?

Hello!

I am relatively new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. I am hoping for some advice on an issue I have.

I had an account from Kohl's that was charged off and sent to CBCS collection agency. CBCS sent me a settlement offer for half of the amount of the debt..of course I paid it and assumed that the amount owed would report at $0/Settled on my CR (just as my CITI account did last year). Well lo and behold, my report shows the balance of the "unpaid" amount rather than $0/Settled. I called Kohl's (because they are still reporting this debt; the collection agency isn't on my report) and they tell me this isn't their account anymore and they can not touch it...fine. I called CBCS and they tell me they sent an update to Kohl's, who is responsible for updating the account....I'm leaning towards believing CBCS, since Kohl's is still reporting...but each of them says its the other's responsbility..help ??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Original Creditor and Collection Agency pointing the finger at each other ?

The OC does not have to remove the TL. It's not their account anymore. If the CA told you they were sending a letter to the OC, they lied. The OC has no obligation to remove the TL

Message 2 of 6
Vcanady7

So I should be pursing the CA? The rep swore that they send updates to them "every monday like clockwork" lol...

Thanks for the input btw Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

How much is owed on the unpaid bal? Kohl's TL will stay on your credit reports for a max of 7.5 yrs. The CA deleted their TL? The unpaid bal will probably be sold to another CA.

Message 4 of 6
Vcanady7

The unpaid balance is like $195..the CA was never on my report at all..thats why its confusing me

Message 5 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

If the CA is not listed on your reports, than I would pay it so it doesn't hit as a collection. your score will take a big hit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.