Original Creditor vs Collector

tag
SoDenied
New Contributor

Original Creditor vs Collector

When sending a GW letter for accounts that are:

paid, closed.

settled, full.

When you want the account removed from the credit report, am I sending it to the creditor that originally gave me the credit card

or the person that bought the junk charged off account?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Original Creditor vs Collector

@SoDenied wrote:

When sending a GW letter for accounts that are:

paid, closed.

settled, full.

When you want the account removed from the credit report, am I sending it to the creditor that originally gave me the credit card

or the person that bought the junk charged off account?

You send it to whatever creditor is listed on your reports.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 8
SoDenied
New Contributor

I noticed the thread got moved, sorry, I thought it was a genral question Smiley Very Happy

-- So the creditor is the answer? The bank/lender that originally gave me the you're approved letter right?

Message 3 of 8
Guava
Established Contributor

Like MarineVietVet said above, send your letter to the address on your report. It may or may not be the original creditor (the original creditor could have sold or handed over your debt to some other creditor). Whoever it is that is listed there is the one that has power to make changes, and the one that you want to send your letter to.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
SoDenied
New Contributor

HSBC Best Buy is listed there and the person they sold it too is listed there. So there are two addresses.

Message 5 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@SoDenied wrote:

HSBC Best Buy is listed there and the person they sold it too is listed there. So there are two addresses.

If Best Buy is still showing any kind of balance that means they still own the account and have just assigned the account to the CA. In that case contact BB and see if they will work with you. If BB shows a zero balance then they have sold the debt and you will have to contact the CA.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 8
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Exactly, i had 8 on there, 3 of them were themselves + collector, so i sent out 11 GW letters 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 7 of 8
SoDenied
New Contributor

Professional tips.

thanks.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.