cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original Creditors - Verification requests.

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Original Creditors - Verification requests.

I have 4 original creditors that charged-off accounts back in 2008.

2 accounts are HBSC and I have no recollection of exactly what they were. The other 2 accounts had excessive fees and the balances were 2 to 3 times as high as the original credit balance.  I disputed through the CRA but they were verified. However I never received any details.

I am contemplating directly requesting verification from these 4 companies. 2 of the companies list the balance at 0.

Is there a chance through verification that these companies could then raise the balances? I believe that would hurt my score.

If an account is charged off should the blance be 0 by law?

Is it worth it to ask for verification?

Also, could this requesting verification lead these companies to activate new CAs?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Original Creditors - Verification requests.

@randallcred wrote:

I have 4 original creditors that charged-off accounts back in 2008.

2 accounts are HBSC and I have no recollection of exactly what they were. The other 2 accounts had excessive fees and the balances were 2 to 3 times as high as the original credit balance.  I disputed through the CRA but they were verified. However I never received any details.

I am contemplating directly requesting verification from these 4 companies. 2 of the companies list the balance at 0.

Is there a chance through verification that these companies could then raise the balances? I believe that would hurt my score.

If an account is charged off should the blance be 0 by law?

Is it worth it to ask for verification?

Also, could this requesting verification lead these companies to activate new CAs?

Unfortunately, original creditors are largely immune to provisions of the FDCPA that requires collection activities to cease pending reply to a timely made DV request.

Still, they probably would respond with details to help you better understand the account, though they might also start to reinitiate or ramp up collection activities -- possibly even suing.  I wouldn't contact them unless you are prepared to pay the amount(s) owed should they be able to show they are legally owed the amounts they have stated.

Once you add in late fees, penalty interest, overlimit fees and legal costs, it is not unexpected that a balance can grow to over 200% or more of the original balance.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.