cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original bill sent to wrong address?

tag
stlacct

Original bill sent to wrong address?

When I checked my credit report a few months ago, there was a collection account on there for a utility account from our previous address. I wrote to the collection agency and asked them to send me documentation on the account as I was not expecting a remaining balance. I had called the electric company about a week after we moved and given them the new address. They did not know what the bill would be or if I would recieve a refund as there was a deposit on the account and it was a co-op where we recieved any excess profts back at the end of the year. They said they would send a bill or a check to the new address after the meter reading and the refund was figured. I never received anything, and frankly, didn't think about it again as I had a three month old. When I got a copy of the original statement sent from the collection agency, the house number on the forwarding address was incorrect. I don't have a problem paying the remaining balance as it is mine, but is not ever recieving a bill to to an error in the address entry a reason that they would remove it from my credit report?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Original bill sent to wrong address?

@stlacct wrote:

When I checked my credit report a few months ago, there was a collection account on there for a utility account from our previous address. I wrote to the collection agency and asked them to send me documentation on the account as I was not expecting a remaining balance. I had called the electric company about a week after we moved and given them the new address. They did not know what the bill would be or if I would recieve a refund as there was a deposit on the account and it was a co-op where we recieved any excess profts back at the end of the year. They said they would send a bill or a check to the new address after the meter reading and the refund was figured. I never received anything, and frankly, didn't think about it again as I had a three month old. When I got a copy of the original statement sent from the collection agency, the house number on the forwarding address was incorrect. I don't have a problem paying the remaining balance as it is mine, but is not ever recieving a bill to to an error in the address entry a reason that they would remove it from my credit report?

You will have to get the CA to remove it..... Ask them if they will PFD. The CB won't remove it because it is yours. Good luck and welcome to the forums

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Original bill sent to wrong address?

I would contact the OC and point out that they did not follow through as promised by sending any billing to your new address.

Thus, they should notify the debt collector that the collection referral to them was improper, and should be deleted.

If notified by the OC that the referral was improper, the debt collector would be required to dellete their reporting.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.