cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original creditor has a total different amount then ca?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Original creditor has a total different amount then ca?

Hello question, I've been trying to get this collection off of my report for the past few weeks it's the only one left I am still waiting on dv from the the agency that owns the deb which 's diversified consultants and the oc being sprint u had not called sprint until today sprint has my balance as $574.76 and change when DC is reporting $1112.56...wth? I'm not sure what to do at this Point...they have until Monday to verify debt? Anyone know if I should call sprint back and try and recall...I can pif with sprint today if that's the case
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Original creditor has a total different amount then ca?

Who now owns the debt, the original creditor or the debt collector?

Did the creditor sell the debt some time ago, and the amount they are proiding is from a prior point in time, with the amount now being asseted by the debt collector incllduing additonal accrued interest?

Is the debt itself valid, and you only contest the current amount? 

Finally, a DV has no set period for response, so it is unclear as to how they have a set date for response.

Message 2 of 7
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

I've haven't seen an original debt double due to interest over a max of 7 years, since years ago when they buckled down on buyers committing what amounted to highway robbery.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This debt was from 10 months ago when sprint (oc) account defaulted...assigned to deversified consultants...
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The debt is valid I'm only worried about the amount...it was originally $574 how is DC report $1112
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Find out if Sprint still owns the debt or if they can recall it.....sounds like they would be easier to deal with then the CA.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FDCPA 808(1) is your governing federal statute.

It specifices that it is a violation for a debt collector to attempt to collect any amount, including interest of other fees, that is not specifically authorized in the contract with the creditor that created the debt or permitted by law.

Based on that section of statute, case law has affirmed the right of a consumer to nclude in a DV request an itemization of the asserted debt, as that is the only way they can then evaluate whether the asserted debt is in compliance with section 808(1).

Send a DV, and include a specific request for an itemization of the asserted debt, and a showing of how any interest or other fee is either authorized in the contract that created the debt or permitted by law.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.