Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original creditor vs. Collection Company

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Original creditor vs. Collection Company

My sister has a late payments with HSBC who latter sold the account to a collection company. How do I deal with these 2 derogatory items on her credit. Do I pay off the collection company and receive a deletion letter, or do I pay HSBC for the deletion letter. My goal is to have both items deleted but I' m confused on how to go about it. Can someone provide me a blue print on how I can achieve this from their experience. Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Original creditor vs. Collection Company

A party who no longer owns a debt cannot accept payment.  They have already been "paid" through whatever transaction they entered into when they sold the debt.

A PFD offer can be made to either the current owner of the debt, or to an assigned debt collector.

Which to offer the PFD to depends upon what you are seeking to have deleted.  Normally, consumers want to get the collection deleted, as it is usually the more serious derog, so they make their PFD offer to the debt collector.  If an OC still owns the debt and accepts payment, they cannot require the debt collector to delete their reporting.

If a debt collector refuses a PFD offer, and the OC still owns the debt, you may be able to still salvage some CR deletion if the OC will accept a PFD, and thus delete some or all of their derogatory reporting.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.