Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch..Dispute backfired

tag
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Ouch..Dispute backfired

So, I disputed a late pymt with a mortgage co that used to service my mortgage years ago.  I was sure I was not 120 late with them.  I made the dispute hastily while I searched for the proof.  Well, they did remove the 120 but they ADDED three 90s.....WOW.  Now I have to finish finding all my paperwork.  The interesting thing to me is that the case number is different now than it was back then.  AND it seems that the current co that is servicing the mortgage it the one who verified and updated it.  And it is reported very different with all three bureaus.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Ouch..Dispute backfired

So, I disputed a late pymt with a mortgage co that used to service my mortgage years ago.  I was sure I was not 120 late with them.  I made the dispute hastily while I searched for the proof.  Well, they did remove the 120 but they ADDED three 90s.....WOW.  Now I have to finish finding all my paperwork.  The interesting thing to me is that the case number is different now than it was back then.  AND it seems that the current co that is servicing the mortgage it the one who verified and updated it.  And it is reported very different with all three bureaus.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

A bit confusing.

Mortgage loans, particularly, are sold and resold, and thus the appearance of a new owner, or new account number, is common.

The issue should be focused on the debt, statements made to you on when payments were due, and proof of payment of the amt due by the billing due date.

The current debt owner has deleted prior reporting of their predecessor in ownership, and inserted their own history to yor CR.  That is a bit risky on their part.They probably now have no means to verify this without going back to the prior owner.

My suggestion is to get your supporting information toghether, then file your dispute directly with the party who is now reporting to your CR.  Dont dispute through the CRAs, and dont mention any prior disputes.

Suggested direct dispute letter:

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have posted to my credit file.

“In compliance with FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), this notice includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account(s) number(s), and the specific information being disputed)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, a copy of the portion of your

recent credit report showing their reporting)

“Under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(E), you have the duty to review all of the information in my notice of dispute, and to complete your investigation, and report back to me within 30-days of my notice of dispute..”

Message 2 of 4
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

O.K. I am looking more closely.  The original mortgage co transferred the mortgage to another company in 2008, September. 

So....I have two separate TL for 2 different mortgage companies.  BOTH show 5/2003 as the date opened and both have the same acct number.

The older TL shows 7/2007 as the date of last activity.  The new TL shows Sept 2008 as the first activity.  That means there is a year of no reporting on either CRA.

The so called "new" mortgage company is the one that verified and updated the original mortgage co TL.  And like I said, they even added 3 lates. 

I guess it must have been a situation where a bank bought out another and they apparently has the whole (term used loosely) mortgage file.  I have to sort out all 3 bureaus because there are so many discrepancies.  I wonder if attempting a QWR first is even worth it or they would just ignore it anyway.  Or just go the 623 route first.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If the lates are accurate, then they can add it where none were added before. That's one of many negatives to disputing. Ever try a GW?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.