cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of debt (bad and good debt): What next?

tag
EasyEasyE

Out of debt (bad and good debt): What next?

Ok - So I'm sure in the next month I'm literally going to be posting here everyday, because I just need some help. My story is that I took out a bunch of cash advance loans, title loans, and pretty much got laid off my job and didn't pay alot of bills for like two years. Been dodging calls from god knows how many creditors, just throwing bills in the trash, or burning them in the fire. I've sold everything I've owned and probably don't one one thing except for some raggity clothes (ok, I do have some clothes). Gist of it is, I don't have to much, BUT

I finally came across some money am I'm set to pay off every single penny of it.

Like anybody, I want to clean up my report. So far I've done three things:

1. Paid off about 75% of debt (other 25% is working on being cleared via snail mail checks)
  2. Ran my credit report on AnnualCreditReport - But lost the links/didn't print anything out
  3. Got a 'Bad Credit' credit card from creditcards.com

Pretty much I'm starting with $1,000 to my name. I won't have ANY debt at all, but keep in mind I was like 2 years late with my government student loans, credit card payments, etc. I don't have any old credit, because either stuff got charged off, closed, etc.

What's the 'go to plan' here? I just want to clean up my report so I can possibly pass a credit check for a new apartment or a job even! I know when I worked in a car dealership they were always able to swing some things. Like, if you had something on your credit report but you got a letter from the company stating you paid everything off. There were still banks willing to finance you.

I always debate signing up for these 'clean up your credit' services for like $99/mo, but it's very publically known these are a rip off. Though to me it's cool because they do all the work in the background. ANYWAY - How's one go about cleaning this stuff up and getting their life back on track? (links accepted for this one lol)

Whew - that was long.

Thanks in advance for your response!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Nettieinva
Valued Member

Re: Out of debt (bad and good debt): What next?

You probably would get a response in the rebuilding forum. Someone will have advice for you there. 

Message 2 of 4
mauve
Valued Contributor

You don't have copies of your report from any of the bureaus? I'm assuming you pulled them within the last year. I don't think you can access them later if you don't have the report numbers.

However, if you've been denied credit based on one of them, you should get something in the mail telling you why you were denied credit and you would have a right to a free report based on that. I don't recommend running up inquiries to get your reports that way, but if you already have, you may as well take advantage of it.

I think that you should first stop paying off debt. If there's anything you haven't paid yet, don't - it's leverage for what you want to do.

Second, pull your reports directly from Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax. Do not get them from some other service (including myFICO), and do not buy your credit scores from the agencies either. The reason is that you want the most complete info that you can get, which is only available with direct-from-the-CRA reports. The scores from those sources are not FICOs, so they aren't worth paying extra for. When you pull those reports, please please please make a .pdf of them. At least print them!

You've paid off some of your debt, so I would start by sending everyone who is paid in full a goodwill letter. There's a link at the top of this board about those. Basically, you own up to what happened, you explain why it wouldn't happen again and how you're prepared now to not get in that situation again, and then you request a deletion. When you ask for a deletion, be specific - ideally, you want negative information removed but not the tradeline if it's a loan or a credit card or something like that. If it's a collection agency, you just want it removed, period. Goodwill letters go to the entity that's reporting.

If there's any debt you haven't paid off, I would send them a DV letter - CMRRR. DV is debt validation, CMRRR is certified mail / return receipt requested. You can find an example at the top, I believe. It is possible that you'll get deletions with just DV letters. If they don't accept the letter or they don't respond to it, that's a reason to get them off of your reports. 

If they respond, you can send them a PFD - pay for delete letter. Essentially, you offer to pay them if they will put in writing that they will delete the negative info from your reports.

After you've cleaned up your reports as much as you can, you'll want to start working on acquiring some revolving credit.

Hope this at least gets you started - also, read up on here about the individual entities on your report to see what strategies have worked with them in the past. Also, FYI, I haven't personally done this in a little while (about 2 years), and there are probably other options as well now - something about disputing with the original creditor, but I don't know the details on that or its advantages / limitations. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
EasyEasyE

Wow, thank you VERY much for this. Totally bookmarking this and referencing. By the way, I'm going to send out my first goodwill letters sometime next week!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.