Reply
Regular Contributor
proudnavymom
Posts: 240
Registered: ‎11-29-2008
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

Could you PM me the information as well?  I have quite a few medical collections that I would like to get deleted.

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 5/31/2014 FICO 671 EQ 7/5/14 FICO 667 EX 5/31/2014 658 FICO
Goal Scores 700 across the board
New Contributor
mompreneur1
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎10-09-2009
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?


2NE1 wrote:

FrugalRican wrote:

I have a co-worker who is trying to get a consolidation loan to get all her credit cards to 0, get rid of her ghastly interest payments on those cards and just funnel everything into one monthly payment.

 

Unfortunately, she had a medical collection pop up on her account last year.

She thought she had gotten the OC to agree to delete. They didn't, they just switched to "Paid as Agreed in Full" (or whatever they label it as).

 

I don't know too much about the HIPAA process, and I've tried using the search function within the forums to find a specific post that maybe has the steps to it.

 

Can anyone provide a link or basic information on what she should do next?
It's her only collection left on her report and she wants to get this taken off. Is this possible through the HIPAA process?

I have no experience with this at all, so any help, links, info, outlines are greatly appreciated.


I'm a HIPAA expert! :smileywink: I got 7 unpaid collections deleted off my three reports! check your inbox for more info! :smileyhappy:

 

 

Please PM me this info as well. I have several medical collections I'd like to get removed. Thank You! :smileyhappy:


 

Frequent Contributor
LondonMassey
Posts: 453
Registered: ‎01-03-2012
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

Me too!!

Cap1(sc) 550, Cap1 750, Walmart 750, Home Depot 3000, Amazon 700, US Bank 1500, Childrens Place 1100, JC Penney 700, Old Navy 700, PayPal 700, Torrid 700, Lane Bryant 150, Avenue 500, OSP 500, Amex Blue 2000, Disc it 1000, Walmart Disc 2200, Old Navy Visa 1700, Mortgage 09-2012, Car Loan 03-2013



Current Score: EQ 665 EX 687 TU 695


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
traveler2005
Posts: 509
Registered: ‎08-13-2011
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

could you PM me the info please and thank you





Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 675, Exp 653.,Eq 655
Goal Score: 700 across the board


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
bigtim
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎06-06-2009
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?


RobertEG wrote:

The HIPAA process is based on a legal interpretation of the statute, not an explicit provision of statute.

The basic underpinning of the process is an argument that, while medical information can permissibly be retained by parties collecting on a medical debt, once the debt is paid, that permissible purpose is gone, and thus requires deletion of any such retained information.

It is not discussed because it is not an explicit provision of statute, and thus is a legal interpretation reserved for members of the bar.

If and when case law affirms the legal validity of the underpinning assumption, there should be no reason to not discuss openly.  But precedential case law does not currently exist.


The truth is, the 'HIPAA process' as you call it,  is neither legal nor ethical. That is the reason the reason it is not allowed to be discussed on here, openly. 

 

When I first came here over 3 years ago, it was promoted openly like a magic bullet and I thought I found something that might help my reports. However, with some basic research it was clear that it was, to put it mildly, not legitimate. You say the legal interpretation is 'reserved for members of the bar', but I can tell you it that it takes only a 5th grade education and 5 minutes of reading to interpret - the laws are very plainly and concisely written.

 

I have had some heated discussions on here in the past about this - you can check my past posts if you're curious. Why? Because when I came here, I was hoping to find some good, credible information from an ethical and reliable source to help me rebuild my credit - and then I found that. I am SO glad that the powers that be put an end to that and kept these boards a reliable and, in my opinion, a professional source of information.  All that invalid advice does is poison the well, and then you have to question ANY advice that is given...

 

Does this 'HIPAA process' work? Sure - many have had items removed by using it. Can you increase your income by robbing your Grandma's purse when she's sleeping? Sure... :smileyhappy: Is this 'process' legitimate or valid? Absolutely not.

 

Thanks so much to the myFICO powers that keeps these boards in check. This remains really a great place to come for reliable and legitimate information and credit products, which is why I have referred countless people here to seek information and make purchases, and why I continue to use these services as well. :smileyhappy:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Mega Contributor
RobertEG
Posts: 17,708
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

I cannot disagree in basic premise, but that would only be my intepretation of an interpretation......

 

I would only disagree with the statement that the so-called HIPAA process is illegal.

Keeping to the premise that the boards should stick to the facts and law, I know of no party convicted for pursuit of the process.

Ergo, no finding of illegality.

 

It is reliance on an unproven process that deserves caution to the user, not the fear of its illegality.

To those who pursue it, the best of luck. 

Frequent Contributor
bigtim
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎06-06-2009
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?


RobertEG wrote:

I would only disagree with the statement that the so-called HIPAA process is illegal.

Keeping to the premise that the boards should stick to the facts and law, I know of no party convicted for pursuit of the process.


While I don't want to go into a debate with you on what's technically 'legal' or not, simply because you or I know of nobody 'convicted' of using the process, I could argue that it surely violates some laws (probably civil) to threaten an individual or company based on inaccurate accusations. But again, I care not to re-debate the subject. 

 

Let me re-classify to make it more simple: The so-called 'HIPAA process' is blatantly frivolous, to say the least.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Frequent Contributor
Catacam
Posts: 491
Registered: ‎02-06-2012
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

I'm confused... Ok, maybe playing devils advocate, and I do NOT know this process or understand it completely, but....

 

A doctors office allows 30 days for the insurance company to pay a claim..


Insurance Company has some issues and must "investigate" so the claim is not paid..

 

The bill is then sent straight to a collection agency.

 

The collection agency either sends you a dunning or not (because as we all know, many of them do not do what they are supposed to).

 

It shows as a negative on your credit report and drops your score.

 

60 days later, your insurance pays the bill but the collection agency continues to collect or marks the entry as paid, but the negative information remains on your account.

 

Thus the HIPAA process...Something that can provide relief to the consumer for a crappy process and industry...

 

And, I thought it only worked if your debt was paid?

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!


Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Frequent Contributor
bigtim
Posts: 359
Registered: ‎06-06-2009
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?


Catacam wrote:

I'm confused... Ok, maybe playing devils advocate, and I do NOT know this process or understand it completely, but....

 

Thus the HIPAA process...Something that can provide relief to the consumer for a crappy process and industry...

 

And, I thought it only worked if your debt was paid?


The fact that it is sometimes effective and can provide the consumer relief for a crappy industry is really irrelevant in terms of its legitimacy. As you read these boards you will see COUNTLESS instances where valid derogatory items have been deleted simply by disputing the entire list - for no good reason....

 

You can dispute ANY item on your CR with or without a legitimate cause - sometimes they just delete them for lack of... whatever.

 

The 'HIPAA process' is frivolous.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Established Member
Lilybuggy
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎04-23-2012
0

Re: Outlined HIPAA Process?

Well, I think I'll let the CRA judge whether my HIPAA dispute is frivolous. Could you please PM the HIPAA process as well?I found another site, but it's a little confusing to me.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}