cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over the credit limit versus late fee- TOTALLY different thing, right?

tag
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Over the credit limit versus late fee- TOTALLY different thing, right?

Tis the season and all that, but I finally got my Christmas bonus this week at work and I can finally pay off ALL my credit cards in full Monday afternoon.  Just Wednesday I got an alert that one of my cards was over the limit and it dropped my score 12 points.  This isn't something that stays on my credit is it?  I can simply pay this off and it will drop my utilization causing my scores to go BACK up and all will be well, right?

THANKS!!!!

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Over the credit limit versus late fee- TOTALLY different thing, right?

@pritchardhallhokie wrote:

Tis the season and all that, but I finally got my Christmas bonus this week at work and I can finally pay off ALL my credit cards in full Monday afternoon.  Just Wednesday I got an alert that one of my cards was over the limit and it dropped my score 12 points.  This isn't something that stays on my credit is it?  I can simply pay this off and it will drop my utilization causing my scores to go BACK up and all will be well, right?

The pain is coming from your utilization. Over-the-limit means that card is at great than 100% utilization. Fortunately, FICO has no memory of past utilization percentages, so once you pay down, and your new balances reflect on your credit reports after the statements drop, you'll be just fine again. However, "high balance" can certainly be reported on your credit report, showing that you've been over-the-limit. The good news is that it may only ever matter, as a past anomaly, upon manual review of credit.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Over the credit limit versus late fee- TOTALLY different thing, right?

I agree that FICO recovery of your scoring in % util can be attained by paying it down in later months since % util as it relates to FICO scoring has no historical memory.

My concern would not be so much with FICO scoring as with future internal review of your account by the OC,  They retain their own account history records, and do periodic reviews on their own.  Goiing over the limit is a red flag, and might have affect on their future decisions on your account, such as credit limit adjustments.

Going over the limit, on most CC agreements, is a violation of ;payment terms, and could invalidate, for example, any low-interest, iintroductory or balance transfer  rates now in effect.

Getting it paid down now, and keeping it down, may be more imortant in the long run than this and next month's FICO impact.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.