Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelmed Newbie

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overwhelmed Newbie

Hi there, I don't know where to start and would REALLY appreciate some help. We're trying to get my husbands FICO score from TU up from 624...our goal is 700.

He was unemployed for about 8 mos. A year and 1/2 ago and we had a truck repo'ed and almost lost our house. He has a good paying job now that he's been at for almost a year now and we've gotten back on our feet and are looking to improve his score. I just don't know where to start. I'd like to start with what would make the biggest increase in the score first, but I've read so many different things on this board, the more I learn, the more confused I get.

So here goes.... COLLECTIONS: Hospital ER $562 DA 3/1/04 DR 3/22/05 Hospital ER $1432 DA 4/1904 DR 3/22/05

CHARGE OFFS: Capital One - Balance $3,321 (I've previously gotten offer letters to pay off for $1600) Date Closed 3/2003 Date of Last activity 9/02 This says it is charged off, but unlike the other charge offs there is a balance in the balance column of $3321 Should I do a PFD letter on this? Will it be falling off soon with the 7 yr? I'm confused on which date to go from.

Credit Union - Repo $10,261 Date Closed 7/2006 Last Activity 7/2005

DEROG: Irwin Mortgage - 120 days past due...then a new Mortgage company bought that one and we've been on time with that one for 11 mos. Should I sent the old mortgage company a GW letter asking them to take off the late payments?

We have two car payments we've always payed on time and are current. One for $13K and one for 9K and we have two student loan payments one for 7K and one for 3K.

We have about $2k extra a month. Would it make more of an impact on our score to pay off one of the vehicles and student loans, or the charge off and repos?

The FICO simulator says that I have $3404 in revolving debt which would improve my score if paid off. This could only be the Capital One card which I have for the amount of $3321. But when I enter to "pay debt total" on the simulator, the debt amount is $13582 which is the repo of $10261 plus the amount of Capital One that I have which is $3321. I guess I shouldn't pay too much attention to that?

Do you think it's possible to bring our score up to 700 by Dec/Jan? Any help advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Edit: Only to breakup the paragraph to make it easier to flow through (undoubtedly screwed up somewhere though) No content was touched or changed in any other way.

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 06-09-2008 11:43 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed Newbie

Hi and welcome to the board, you are definitely in the right place for help, and i hope that you receive just that, but it would easier to read your post if you break it up just a little...Thanks and good luck!
Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Overwhelmed Newbie

Definitely...GW the lates fpr the mortgage...accounts fall off 7-7.5 years from the DOFD...date of first delinquency...so find out the DOFD to determine when the Capital One accounts fall off...

In the mean time...definitely pay down the CCs...that will help score a lot...roughly 10-15pts...for every 10% you bring it down..for the biggest impact...bring it down to under 10% UTL...the bad thing is...that Capital One CO is still being counted towards your UTL...so I would pay ASAP...if it's not falling off soon...

Unfortunately...Capital One DOES NOT accept...PFD...and rarely accept GW letters fpr removal...but you have to think...when does it fall if...and if you need the point before it does...paying that should help...COs with a balance...is nothing like a collection...

For the medical collections...use the Hipaa Process...
www.whychat.5u.com

GOOD LUCK...I THINK YOU'LL MAKE IT TO YOUR 700 GOAL BEFORE JAN...YOUR NOT FAR AWAY...AND PAYING THE CC'S DOWN TO UNDER 10% CAN GET YOU THERE...BASED ON YOUR CURRENT BALANCES...

Message Edited by slyhouse08 on 06-09-2008 08:42 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.