Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overwhelmed beginner - Midland debt question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overwhelmed beginner - Midland debt question

Hello All,

I have been reading through the forums periodically for a while now and I am finally gearing up to head into my own credit repair battle. I am finding it quite overwhelming. I am working on getting a clear idea of exactly what I need to tackle, how to tackle it (dv, gw, pfd, etc.), and in what order. If that part wasn't difficult enough, as you all know, I don't know what to do about one particular debt. I finished a contract with T-mobile in 2008, I received a bill for $200+ and I disputed it over the phone with them a couple of times and after the last phone call I never heard anything else and I assumed they had corrected the issue. That was when I was younger and more trusting. Now, my credit report shows that they sold the debt (now $338) to Midland and Midland is reporting it as a new debt starting 09/2011. What is my best course of action in this case? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Overwhelmed beginner - Midland debt question

Did you get your free reports at the AnnualCreditReport website? If yes, look for the date the item is expected to be removed (many of the paid services won't show this information) - likely it's mid 2015 to sometime in 2016. If that's what's showing, easiest thing to do is nothing, and let it drop automatically.

The 09/2011 date is when the collector acquired the debt. The date of first delinquency (DOFD) should still be sometime in 2008 / early 2009. The DOFD generally doesn't change much (sometimes it can drift slightly; OC TL disappearing first, then the CA TL or vice-versa), if at all, regardless of debt being assigned, sold, recalled, etc.

Midland has a bad rep, so tread carefully. Again, to reiterate, due to the age of the debt and being it's a low amount, doing nothing and letting it drop is likely the best route.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I'm not sure if your question involves how to deal with a debt you assert is inaccurate, or how to deal with a debt collector who is reporting a collection on n old debt.

If your issue is one of contesting the accuracy of the debt, then you can either send a request for debt validation to the debt collector of file a dispute with them.

A DV requires no documentation of a specific reporting inaccuracy on their part, but sets no period for or requirment to respond.

If your DV is timely (i.e., filed either without prior dunning notice, or within 30 days of their dunning notice), it imposes a cease collection bar on them, which remains in effefct until such time as they choose to provide validation.  You could thus be in limbo for an unspecified period.

If you have some documentation with which to contest the accuracy of the debt, you can send dispute, which has a 30-day period for them to complete the investigation, and 5 days thereafter to send a notice of resutls.

If your issue is only one of how long the collection can remain in your credit report, you need the DOFD that they reported to the CRA.

They must have obtaied the DOFD from the OC, and reported it to the CRA within 90 days after reporting of their collection.

Their collection willl them become excluded from your credit report by the CRA no later than 7 years plus 180 days fromt he reported DOFD.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll let the experts tell you how to deal with the othe debt but for the phone bill.  I would contact Consumer Affairs.  If you never received a bill, you have a right to dispute & report it.  They will help you investigate it with the phone company.  Better to have a little power behind you. Most phone companies will never remove it even if it's disputed & still paid.  Consumer Affairs can help you with them.  I had some $67.00 bill from Verizon on my report & told them it wasn't mine. Never got anywhere speaking with Verizon.  I finally got Consumer Affairs involved & they removed it.  

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.