rosie5

Owner financing

I am owner financing a property from a family member. Two years ago I sold my home and bought this home . I had medical bills and fell behind on my payments many time so credit is not good . I did sell my home but the damage is done to my credit ,I don't have any payments as far as credit just old collections . All are more than 5 years old , but now I would like to get a loan for the house I am currently owner financing. I have some savings but do I pay off the collections or save it for down ? Do I get a secured credit card to build my credit? Help score is 585  Will I even be approved for a loan at that score?

Valued Contributor
GregB

Re: Owner financing

I would get a secured CC to start building some positive credit.

I would pull your full credit reports from annualcreditreport.com (don't pay for scores!) so that you can see when the negatives will fall off.

You are saying the collections are 5 years old but how old are the other negatives?

It sounds like you need to think long term on getting your credit back to acceptable.

Valued Contributor
MovingForward_2012

Re: Owner financing

You typically need a mid fico score of 640 for a mortgage loan. Some lenders will do a 620 and only 1-2 in your area will do a 580. So you need to clean up your reports before you can get qualified for a mortgage loan.

I would try to PFD the collections and get 2-3 cards to build your credit. The only cards I think you can get right now are a secured card, or one from First Premier and Credit One but I would avoid them like the plague because their fees are unreal.

I think your best plan of action as far as credit cards go is to get a secured MasterCard from Capital One. Pay in full each month for 6 months and then apply for the unsecured Capital One Cash Rewards card for average credit. It has an annual fee of $39 but that pays for itself through the 1% cash back you get on every purchase plus you get 50% cash back on the total cash back you earned that year. I have had the card since July and I have gotten $97 of cash back on purchases I used to pay for with my debit card. I am waiting until it hits $200 and then I will request a check and deposit it into savings. I expect to get $300 in cash back this year total from my Cash Rewards card. I use it for gas, groceries, food, and 80% of my bills.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! :smileyhappy: Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}