Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oy vey! My credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oy vey! My credit!

Disclaimer: I just joined and don't understand all the acronyms and abreviations yet.

I've been working on my credit for a long time, and while it's steadily increasing, I'm growing a little impatient. lol

I've come up from somewhere in the upper 300's to currently a 545 with Equifax. I checked my Fico acouple weeks ago and it's even better. I'm finally finished owing money to collections. But of course those buggers are just hangin out on my report making me look bad. 

I have the two paid collections accounts and 6 negative accounts. All from a long time ago, between 2007 and 2010.

Also, my father added me to 2 of his oldest credit cards which seems to have influenced my score in a good way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And again, I'm a complete noob with the cool kid lingo around here. Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Oy vey! My credit!

Congrats on the progress so far, especially on getting those collections paid. That sets the stage for the next big step (and a new abbreviation): Goodwill, also known as GW around here.

What you are going to do is basically write simple, personal letters to the collection agencies to ask if they would be willing to delete the collection tradeline from your report. `There are a bunch of examples on this site and elsewhere if you use Google. You may get a response that says "we can't do that" or "the reporting is accurate," or you may get no response at all, but just keep sending them every 30 days till you get what you want. It just costs you a stamp, and all it takes is one friendly rep who decides to help you out, and it's gone.

What exactly do you mean by the other 6 negative accounts? Are those all paid but just showing some lates, or were they charged-off? In any case, for any of those that have a 0 balance, you can use the exact same process above. I'd start with the 2010 ones since those are hurting you the most, then reach out to the 2007 ones. If any still have a balance, you can try what's called Pay For Delete (PFD), where you offer to pay in full to have it deleted. ONLY make those calls if you're prepared to pay in full on the spot, though, because if any are still within state statute of limitations, you could be sued if they know you're willing to pay and you try to back off because they're not willing to PFD. If they won't PFD, pay anyway, then switch to GW.

For the negative accounts dated 2007, you might also have some success calling the bureaus directly (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) asking for early deletion (or "early exclusion" if you want to sound really on-point). TU has been known to be willing to exclude items as early as 6 months prior to the 7 yr limit, and EX sometimes does it 3-6 months early. EQ has been much less consistent, but it's usually a matter of who you get. If you have some that are within 6 months of expiration, I'd pick one day each week to try calling each bureau 2-3x (since you'll get a different rep each time) to see if you can get those deleted. 

Hope this helps, and good luck! Keep us posted with how it plays out - the more people who share their stories, the more everyone benefits.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 2 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Disclaimer: I just joined and don't understand all the acronyms and abreviations yet.

I've been working on my credit for a long time, and while it's steadily increasing, I'm growing a little impatient. lol

I've come up from somewhere in the upper 300's to currently a 545 with Equifax. I checked my Fico acouple weeks ago and it's even better. I'm finally finished owing money to collections. But of course those buggers are just hangin out on my report making me look bad. 

I have the two paid collections accounts and 6 negative accounts. All from a long time ago, between 2007 and 2010.

Also, my father added me to 2 of his oldest credit cards which seems to have influenced my score in a good way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And again, I'm a complete noob with the cool kid lingo around here. :smileytongue:

Welcome to the forum 

You'll be up and running in no time with the lingo 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/m-p/224988?jump=true

Any regularly request info can be found at the top of the page on each forum 

This one you can find GW,PFD etc etc 

The 2007 accounts should be falling off of CR's unless when you paid they were updated....How are they listed as fall off on CR's now that there paid? (2007 & 2010)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any currently open credit cards? What you really need are a couple of current trade lines reporting positive history to offset the baddies. When I was in your current situation (not so very long ago!) I found that opening a CapOne secured card did wonders to help boost my score. Of course, there are numerous good secured cards out there, but I went with CapOne because they approved me for a $200 CL with a $49 deposit. Use the card responsibly, PIF every month, and I think you'll see some real progress.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.