Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P.I.F, settle or wait them out????

tag
tri3nity
Contributor

P.I.F, settle or wait them out????

I'm trying to decide if I should start making payments on some of my debts to lower the balance or if I should just call and negotiate settlements. Does anybody know if when I pay a settlement will it hurt my score or will it start the debts all over again if I PIF or settle? What should I do?

Starting Score: 1/2011 TU 539 EQ 481
Current Score: 2/2011 TU 542 EQ 489 EX 505
Goal Score: 620+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: P.I.F, settle or wait them out????

PIF...or settlement...should show no score difference...settlement might be better as far as the money standpoint...but PIF might look better on your report for further lenders...ideally you should want to PFD...some might require 100%...and some may not...try to PFD...before you PIF...or settle...
Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
PIF...or settlement...should show no score difference...settlement might be better as far as the money standpoint...but PIF might look better on your report for further lenders...ideally you should want to PFD...some might require 100%...and some may not...try to PFD...before you PIF...or settle...

Not entirely true. Paying an old debt can update the account to a current status and drop your score. It makes it look like a new collection.
Message 3 of 10
tri3nity
Contributor

This is what I was thinking. I was thinking that the ones that happened "in my irresponsibility again" a couple of years ago, I would settle or pay in full. I dont want the ones that are supposed to fall off next year or 2010 to start over. Is there somewhere on the sight that I can find a standard pfd letter? I'm just gonna let sleeping dogs lay or is it "lie".

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my personal experience...I had an old auto loan...car was stolen...I had to pay if off...it went to collections...I PIF...and it reported as current...and my score increase by almost 10 points...A collection is a collection...nothing can make it look like a new collection...the date opened will always be on the report...by old dedt...do you mean collections...or past due accounts...now paying something on an account can reset the SOL...but I don't think it will make it LOOK like a new collection...
Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I am talking about DOLA. It can hurt your score, but does not always. The worst thing you can do is a settlement.
Message 6 of 10
tri3nity
Contributor

They are already charged off. there are 4 of them and they equal about $2200.00. They are not scheduled to fall off until 2013. 4 accounts from my divorce fall off next year and the other 2 in 2010. I have 4 new good accounts and I'm trying to figure out if I should pay the ones that are the most recent

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Depending on your state, paying any payment on an old debt can reset the SOL.

What kind of debts are they and what state are you in?
Message 8 of 10
tri3nity
Contributor

I'm in Texas and they are all credit cards

Message 9 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

tri3nity, look under frequently requested threads in GC. There are PFD letters there.

ETA: Frequently requested threads at the top of this board too.

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 04-30-2008 10:07 AM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.