Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAID OC. Now what with CA?

tag
rebuilding
Regular Contributor

PAID OC. Now what with CA?

I just found on my credit a collection account that I didn't know about.  I thought I had paid my cable account to a zero balance when I closed it, but apparently not.  I had a balance of 218.  

It had gone to a CA.  I went to the cable company today and paid it, now what do I need to do>  send a DV to the CA?

Thanks,

11/30/2009 TU 676 EQ 665 EX 654 (CU pulled)
5/14/08 TU 660 EQ 676 EX 623
9/5/07 TU 579 EQ 612 EX 546
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: PAID OC. Now what with CA?

@rebuilding wrote:

I just found on my credit a collection account that I didn't know about.  I thought I had paid my cable account to a zero balance when I closed it, but apparently not.  I had a balance of 218.  

It had gone to a CA.  I went to the cable company today and paid it, now what do I need to do>  send a DV to the CA?

Thanks,

Dispute the CA now has no right to report IIRC

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
rebuilding
Regular Contributor

so just a short and to the point letter that says something like " you have no right to report this to any CRA, remove immediately."  ?

is there any rule/law/wording I should reference?  Thanks again so much!

11/30/2009 TU 676 EQ 665 EX 654 (CU pulled)
5/14/08 TU 660 EQ 676 EX 623
9/5/07 TU 579 EQ 612 EX 546
Message 3 of 7
Shokk
Established Contributor

Assuming the OC still owned the debt, there is no longer anything for the CA to collect.  If the OC sold the debt, technically, you couldn't have paid them.

Normally its recommended NOT to call a CA, but I think in this case I would.  They will (or should) ask for proff it was paid.  Either way, if the OC owned it and you paid it, as mentioned, there is nothing for the CA to collect and therefor they should remove their TL.  If you show proff its been paid, and they refuse to delete, then file a complaint with the CFPB.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 4 of 7
panicattack
Valued Member

Actually, they still have the right to report it, they just have to report it as paid.  However, don't let that stop you from asking them to remove it.  I would start with the cable company.  Ask them to retract it from collections.  If that doesn't work, send a letter to the CA telling them the debt has been paid ask them NICELY to remove the tradeline.

Start 2013 500s
Current: EX: 742 EQ: 599 TU: 725 (in the garden until 2015)
Message 5 of 7
psjhvac79
New Contributor

Kinda what happen to me. I paid the OC and disputed the CA. They just reported as paid and close. How can they do this? On a side note my account wasn't even in their office when I was trying to figure out who to pay.
Message 6 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

The only time the CA is required to delete their TL is either selling it to another CA or transferring it back to the OC. The OP should of had the OC recall the account back from the CA. Since the CA still had collection authority all they need to do is update their TL to show a $0 balance. I would start sending GW letters for deletion!!!

DaBears

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.